Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adge
Binge Watcher

Fandango screen takes over my Roku TV screen

I have Roku TV, and the whole screen keeps getting blocked by a Fandango/VUDU ad screen. It locks up everything & I cannot watch anything. I have been able to remove it temporarily with this method : From the home menu, head to Settings > Home Screen. From there you can turn off both the Fandango stores and the News section by toggling them from “Show” to “Hide.”

BUT it still comes back. I don't subscribe to either of these. The above method is from a post on thinkgeek from 2017. I cannot find anything here or anywhere more recent & cannot get to any kind of phone support from Roku the company. The screen just has the little circle spinning forever. Any hints to call a real person? Thanks in advance. This has been going on for months now.

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Fandango screen takes over my Roku TV screen

Do you have a Fandango/Vudu button on your remote?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
adge
Binge Watcher

yes we do. it does not appear to be pushed in or activated. what can we do please?

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@adge

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced with the Fandango/VUDU screen repeatedly appearing on your Roku TV.

Check if the shortcut button on the remote control is stuck. Try removing the batteries from the remote and see if the issue still occurs. Instead of simply hiding the channel, would it be possible for you to try removing it completely, especially since you do not use it?

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
adge
Binge Watcher

We do not have either of these channels. Never subscribed. Unless Roku put them in there for us to subscribe as click-bait? This didn't start until the Fandango/VUDU merger. It's a full-screen ad takeover of the tv! That's why this is so frustrating. We just changed remotes & have one in that room without the VUDU button. .It's an older one, has Netflix, Amazon, 2 other app buttons. I will also check to see if removing is possible, since there was an option to hide but not sure why it is there to begin with. Will monitor & report back. Thanks

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@adge

Thank you for following up and providing additional information. It's understandable that you're frustrated with the full-screen ad takeover on your TV. In any case, it's great that you've changed the remote and the new one doesn't have the Fandango/VUDU button. Checking if removing the channel is possible is a good idea as well. 

Please keep us posted on how it goes and if there are any further issues that arise. We're here to help in any way we can.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
adge
Binge Watcher

this is happening again. The remote does have the button. we have done the battery removal & it did not help. We are NOT subscribed to Vudu/Fandango & do NOT want it. The logo screen takes over the whole home screen interface. This is maddening. Can we get a remote without the vudu button? I am not sure that's the issue but we could try it. What else can YOU do to remove this problem? I just bought a new ROKU tv last week & have not installed it yet. If ROKU cannot solve this problem I will take it back. 

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @adge,

Thanks for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

We understand your frustration. We're here to help. Please remove the Vudu channel so it will no longer show up on your TV screen by navigating to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, pressing the * key on your remote, and choosing Remove channel. After doing so, please restart your Roku device from Settings > System > Power > System restart (if you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).

Let us know how it goes, and we'll be glad to assist you further.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
adge
Binge Watcher

Hello,

As I said, we DO NOT subscribe to Fandango/VUDU. It's an ad that takes over the screen & whole interface & we cannot access anything else. We have to turn off the whole thing for an hour or so & hope it does not come back. But it always does. We cannot use the Roku tv at all for hours due to this. Please give me a phone number for tech support. We must fix this asap. None of the chats here are helpful, we need to speak with a live human.

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @adge,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We appreciate your effort to reach us again and give additional information about your concerns.

Have you tried restarting your Roku device to see if it helps? We recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power > System restart. (If you do not see the Power submenu, skip to the next step.)

In addition, if you want to speak with one of our live Roku Technical Support you can reach them here.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.