Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Connecting Phone to Tv

Jump to solution

Brand New TCL Roku Tv will not connect to anything but wireless network.

I cannot get usb tethering from my phone to work, though my phone works through other devices and I also cant get a USB to HDMI cable to work to project my phone screen onto the tv. My phone shows that its charging so its fully plugged in. My main goal is to use the unlimited internet i have on my phone for the TV but the TV wants to only connect to my Hotspot instead of using my phone as a modem/screen projecting. Am I missing a setting or step to make my phone connect??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Level 21

Re: Connecting Phone to Tv

Jump to solution

Roku devices don't support USB tethering. If your Roku device doesn't have an Ethernet connection, then WiFi is your only available method of connecting to the Internet. There's a handful of Roku TVs that have been able to use a USB network dongle, but that won't work with phone tethering. It only provides a way to make an Ethernet connection. 

And as far as screen sharing/projecting, that will only work with Android devices. If you have an iPhone, Apple doesn't support screen sharing. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Level 7

Jump to solution

Im having the same issues which is how I happened upon you post, wow no replies.

0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

Roku devices don't support USB tethering. If your Roku device doesn't have an Ethernet connection, then WiFi is your only available method of connecting to the Internet. There's a handful of Roku TVs that have been able to use a USB network dongle, but that won't work with phone tethering. It only provides a way to make an Ethernet connection. 

And as far as screen sharing/projecting, that will only work with Android devices. If you have an iPhone, Apple doesn't support screen sharing. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

I tried everything to connect my phone to tv to get network. At first things was working great now it the Roku Network wont connect to my phone. When i go to network settings connect to my wireless connection that goes through but finding my DIRECT-roku it won't pop up on my phone for nothing. I'm lost I don't know what to do 

0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

@GenCam37 wrote:

I tried everything to connect my phone to tv to get network. At first things was working great now it the Roku Network wont connect to my phone. When i go to network settings connect to my wireless connection that goes through but finding my DIRECT-roku it won't pop up on my phone for nothing. I'm lost I don't know what to do 

No fully understanding the issue. You don't connect to phone to the Roku. It's the other way around. You turn the hotspot function on the phone on, and that creates a WiFi connection point. It will have the name of the phone as the SSID, and the hotspot settings has the password. Go to the Roku network settings menu, find the phone hotspot, and connect from the Roku TO the phone. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

That wasn't helpful. Does anyone here have had a connecting issue with the Roku hotspot from tv to the phone. I live in a hotel and the wireless Wi-Fi is good but not the connection between the tv to the phone. Do all that it ask amd then when it comes with the hotspot information,( Roku hotspot) it doesn't connect with my phone. Can someone who has had this experience please help me. Thank you

0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

@GenCam37 wrote:

That wasn't helpful. Does anyone here have had a connecting issue with the Roku hotspot from tv to the phone. I live in a hotel and the wireless Wi-Fi is good but not the connection between the tv to the phone. Do all that it ask and then when it comes with the hotspot information,( Roku hotspot) it doesn't connect with my phone. Can someone who has had this experience please help me. Thank you

Yes, I have experience with hotel WiFi as well as using hotspots. My response was based on the way you had worded your question, which is why I needed clarification. You keep referring to a Roku hotspot. There is no such thing. Some Roku devices come with RF remotes, and you might see something on your phone wireless that says Roku. But that's not something that you can connect to.

Now, are you attempting to connect your Roku to the hotel WiFi, and trying to use the phone to submit the required hotel authentication? That is something completely different. If that is what you're attempting to do, my next question is what sort of phone are you using to make the connection? I've used the Hotel/Dorm connection function many times, and when using an iOS device (either my iPhone or iPad) I always had problems. When I instead used my Windows laptop, I could connect to the Roku and complete the hotel registration without a problem.

Dan
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Go,to tv setting, and pick screen mirroring, then on your phone use cast, widget,it works on mine!!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Try, app in store , called 4gLTE hotspot, it works on roku

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

Were you able to watch movies, with mirroring?

0 Kudos