Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
subclone
Level 7

Closed Captions, Roku TV (TCL) and Amazon Prime

I'm hearing impaired and dependent on Closed Captioning when watching TV. I have a TCL brand Roku TV. Closed caption works fine in most apps. But, on Amazon Video, I can activate CC, but the text is black with no background strip. I can't read them. How can I change the CC settings so I can read them? I've not had this problem before. I just started, even though I don't believe I changed any settings.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17\
M-T
Level 8

Re: Closed Captions, Roku TV (TCL) and Amazon Prime

We are having a similar problem.   We lost the background that used to be there.  In our Roku Settings (we have an Ultra), under Accessibility, you can still affect the font size and color.   White works pretty well for us.  It would be best to have the background back though.  Hopefully they’ll fix that!

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@subclone @M-T 

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact Amazon Prime Video support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Amazon Prime Video support here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G9SY6AQJV45JFMET

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Nansi
Level 7

It is not amazon, because if you will go to amazon on your built in tv apps there is black background but on all roku's they have lost the background color and very hard to read without them, because when the print goes into light colors through out the show you can't see the type at all without any background color.  This just started on mine 3 days ago.  Up until then amazon had background color.  No matter how you set Roku you can't get the background color back.  I believe it is a roku problem since if you go through another streaming device beside roku amazon has background color for closed captioning.  Praying that someone will address this probably as it makes watching anything on amazon a problem for people that have to use closed captions.  

Nansi
Level 7

I am having the same problem with mine.  It started about 3 days ago.  Amazon had black background for the closed caption text, so you could read it no matter what colors were in the show.  Now its hard to read without the black background cause the text alone is unreadable in a lot of places in the show.  I don't believe it is a amazon problem, because if you will use another device beside roku to go to amazon, they have black background for the text in closed captioning.  

0 Kudos
M-T
Level 8

We also noticed that the background works for us on Amazon on our smart TV.   But it occurs to me that the problem could still be coming from Amazon’s end because of something that changed with the way their app works on Roku specifically.  In the meantime we’ve been getting by with the captions on large and white.  I am going to try contacting Amazon in the next day or so. 

M-T

0 Kudos
M-T
Level 8

Hi Danny,

The issue happens on Netflix as well.  We would appreciate it if you could report this issue.

Thank you,

M-T

SadieNJ
Level 7

We have the Ultra and within past few days the CC background "disappeared" when watching Acorn and Prime. The Roku and Prime settings are correct for Closed Captions (white font, medium size and black background), but only small white font appears, which is difficult to distinguish from the video background. This has to be a Roku problem. Please get it fixed.

Stewiegriffin
Level 7

Got the same problem.  No background.  [post edited] Not a big fan of roku customer service. It sucks

0 Kudos
DeafandAngry
Level 7

I am deaf in both ears and completely reliant on subtitles on any app. Roku is failing in its service to provide adequate subtitles and because they're trying to pass the blame on to Amazon, Roku also are to blame for not helping their disabled customers. It is NOT AMAZON'S FAULT, because this problem ONLY happens on Roku boxes. I have spoken to VITAC employees as well and they've worked very hard to find out what's going on and how to fix it. 

This is unacceptable. The FCC's IP captioning rules state that programming captioned on TV must be delivered with the same quality when delivered via IP. In this case, it is Roku who is delivering the video and Roku who is responsible for ensuring viewers have captions. I'll be reporting this to the FCC.