Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StormTrooper
Level 8

Atmos Working in Netflix proof (pic attached)

I have been advocating for 2 years since I bought my 2018 6-series 65" TCL/ROKU TV, it came preloaded with the dolby app, it passes Atmos just fine for Disney+ and Vudu Movies App.

Ive emailed Dolby, TCL, Roku, spoke with Netflix's teir 1 tech support for 2 hrs taking pics of my operating system etc. After 2 weeks they emailed me back and said my device was incompatible with the Atmos format.....😔 🤦‍♂️... What!!!

Emailed Dolby, they pointed the finger at Netflix.

Then Netflix pointed the finger at the manufacturer stating that they leave the option up to the manufacturers to choose what format options are selected for their apps.

Emailed and called Roku, that was a nightmare as I spoke with someone from a  call center overseas in the Phillipines, they didn't understand what I was asking about.

And just 2 days ago I commented on Dolby's latest YouTube video about enjoying atmos in Netflix, they referred me to their tech support page, I emailed them again, sent the same pics, power cycle.... Etc. I told them, my TV is capable of passing Atmos signals, the app need to be updated with atmos enabled! 

Roku actually has Atmos up and running for Netflix with the 2019 MINI-LED TV, the 8-series. You can see the "Atmos" format tag on the Netflix app during The YouTube review of the TV by Digital Trends. 

I saw that and I was immediately appalled and in shock because of my 2 years of effort to get someone to update the **bleep** app. 

This is insanely, unnecessarily maddening! 

I TRULY don't know what's going on here.

Before it's asked, I have a Netflix premium subscription since 2017, it's set to "High", I have 400mb/sec internet, I have a Vizio Atmos soundbar connected via HDMI, my TV audio setting is set to Auto detect, the programming I check regularly after Netflix app updates is the Netflix movie "Bright" starring Will Smith, it's an Atmos formatted movie, it only shows "5.1", Dolby Vision shows, just not Atmos. 

I deleted Netflix, re started my TV via the setting option, redownloaded Netflix, checked the movie "Bright" still only "5.1"

Again, Atmos works for Disney+ and the Vudu movies app.

This isn't rocket science it would seem, why hasn't this been addressed? 

I just want to enjoy what I paid for in all of its glory/potential.

Roku TV - 7121X
TCL model - 65r615
Serial number - YS00VF320951
Software Version - 9.2.0
Build - 4504-30

Netflix App - Version 4.2
Build 81179053

Soundbar:Vizio
(Atmos soundbar) SB46514-F6

Here's a pic from a YouTube review of the TCL/ROKU 8-SERIES (Q825) released in late 2020, the TV has "mini-led" technology.

Now, when oh when can we all get ATMOS enabled for our versions of Netflix??? 

I have a 2018 tcl/Roku TV, the 6 - series (65r615) I'm still waiting for Atmos to be enabled in my build of the Netflix app.

I have Netflix app version 4.2.81179053

The youtube channel was Digital Trends.Screenshot_20200606-231856_Gallery.jpg

Labels (1)
8 Replies
markarth69
Level 7

Re: Atmos Working in Netflix proof (pic attached)

Did you ever find a solution to this? I have the 55in. 6 Series (2018) and it's a huge bummer as Netflix is my main source of content.

0 Kudos
Neilhunt1
Level 7

I am very interested in this. I have a 2019 6 series and 8 series. My 8 series is plugged into my non-Atmos receiver and therefore all movies say 5.1 in netflix. If I unplug the hdmi going to the receiver it says ATMOS (for titles that support it) even though of course there would be no atmos sound with the built in speakers. I assumed (seems incorrectly) that if I had plugged the tv into a receiver that DID support atmos that the atmos would reappear and I'd be able to enjoy it.

@StormTrooper do you see atmos logo for those movies that support it if you unplug the HDMI?

0 Kudos
Neilhunt1
Level 7

I spoke with Netflix about this via chat and here is the conversation. They say that if you see ATMOS logo, it absolutely should be playing ATMOS tracks if you have an ATMOS receiver and appropriate connections.

You
Some Netflix movies show as supporting dolby atmos sound on the netflix app on my TCL Roku TV. I've heard that atmos isn't supported on Netflix on all devices. If I see the atmos logo, does that mean that if I buy an atmos receiver that the show will play with atmos sound when connected?
Lino Gilbert Netflix
Thank you for contacting Netflix. I got your message above and can help you with that. Yes as long as the device supports ATMOS and the title has the logo it will play on ATMOS.
You
I've heard that atmos for netflix isn't supported on some devices. If that is true, then we would not see atmos logo on the movie, correct?
Lino Gilbert Netflix
If your plan support atmos the logo will appear at your screen.
Lino Gilbert Netflix
Can we get your account email so we can check what your current streaming plan?
You
You
I do have the plan
Lino Gilbert Netflix
Thank you.
You
Right now, my receiver only supports 5.1 (I don't have an atmos receiver), so all the titles say 5.1 instead of atmos. But when I disconnect the receiver from my Roku TV, then it shows atmos logo for those movies that support it. Is this to be expected?
Lino Gilbert Netflix
As we have checked your account plan is on Premium and if your Roku device supports atmos it will play in atmos.
Lino Gilbert Netflix
It means that your Roku TV support Atmos.
0 Kudos
Neilhunt1
Level 7

I purchased a Denon Atmos-compatible receiver and can confirm I am getting Atmos sound from Atmos-enabled video streams in Netflix.

0 Kudos
stubs
Level 7

On which model do you get the atmos on your roku tv. Not the 2018 6 series right? How about the 2020 6 series?

0 Kudos
Neilhunt1
Level 7

I have a 2019 6 series and 2019 8 series and I have atmos on both Netflix apps.

0 Kudos
Akira282
Level 7

Atmos on Roku Premiere

Does Roku Premiere support Atmos? I bought Premiere on Amazon where it did mention that Atmos can be passed through. However, this appears to not be correct. Is Atmos only supported on Roku Ultra on Netflix?

0 Kudos
Docsteve94582
Level 8

I gave up on netflix with Atmos with Roku, I use my apple TV for Netflix. 

0 Kudos