Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
devzqz
Level 7

Interenet Speed

Not sure where to put this or if anyone is interested in replying to this, but I have a question about the internet speed.  I just got roku for my tvs and they seem to work well enough for my viewing experience.  However, when i look at my speed test on the xfinity website i am getting around 35 mbps.  I pay for 150 mbps and was thinking to go down to the next package which is 60 mpbs.  It seems that it would cover the 35 mbps that is running and working well enough now, but my question is that if i downgrade the plan will the actual speed of 35 go down as well?

Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Interenet Speed

"devzqz" wrote:
Not sure where to put this or if anyone is interested in replying to this, but I have a question about the internet speed.  I just got roku for my tvs and they seem to work well enough for my viewing experience.  However, when i look at my speed test on the xfinity website i am getting around 35 mbps.  I pay for 150 mbps and was thinking to go down to the next package which is 60 mpbs.  It seems that it would cover the 35 mbps that is running and working well enough now, but my question is that if i downgrade the plan will the actual speed of 35 go down as well?

Thank you in advance.

You would expect half-to-full of the plan's speed. You should be getting 75-150 right now, and are not. Under the proposed plan, you should get 30-60.

As a note, I pay for 100 and get 105. So, my experience is closer to full than half. But that's me.

I'd first look into why you're getting only 35 out of 150. I'd suggest turning your WiFi off and disconnecting everything from the router except a single wired device that can be used to measure speed. This rules out anything else causing a problem with the test. If you still get 35, contact Comcast.

Once they get you the speed you're actually paying for, then decide if you want to drop to a cheaper plan. The 60 mbps plan should be sufficient.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Agree with Dukes. You aren't getting what you're paying for. That said, using a Roku to stream from the Internet doesn't require super high speed. Even at 4K, few if any sites exceed 20 Mbps. With 1080 or lower, 10 Mbps is sufficient. Of course, that doesn't leave much room left for other Internet uses, or multiple streaming devices. So I think 60 is reasonable from your description. 
My daughter only had 20 Mbps for a long time, and had no streaming issues. She has about 65 now. But the nice thing about DSL over cable is that the speed isn't dependent on other users. I get my 90 Mbps at all times, regardless of other neighborhood usage. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
devzqz
Level 7

Thank you guys i will definitely try this because yes i believe im just testing the wifi speed from what it sounds like. That should definitely help to get the correct speed.

One last question if you guys are up for it. Any tips on using under one terrabyte? Now that i stopped cable i am using so much that i had to get unlimited for another $50 which almost comes back to what i was paying before for xfinity tv.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"devzqz" wrote:
Thank you guys i will definitely try this because yes i believe im just testing the wifi speed from what it sounds like. That should definitely help to get the correct speed.

One last question if you guys are up for it. Any tips on using under one terrabyte? Now that i stopped cable i am using so much that i had to get unlimited for another $50 which almost comes back to what i was paying before for xfinity tv.

Are you returning to the Home screen before turning off the TV? Only Roku TV stop streaming when the TV is turned off. Boxes and Sticks keep streaming until the video ends, unless the app is auto play, in which case it keeps streaming. If you’re doing Live TV, there’s no end. That’s the main thing that people with high data usage need to learn.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
devzqz
Level 7

"DBDukes" wrote:
"devzqz" wrote:

Are you returning to the Home screen before turning off the TV? Only Roku TV stop streaming when the TV is turned off. Boxes and Sticks keep streaming until the video ends, unless the app is auto play, in which case it keeps streaming. If you’re doing Live TV, there’s no end. That’s the main thing that people with high data usage need to learn.

You know sometimes we leave it on live tv or other apps. I will jave to go over that with my wife n kids and monitor that. So then i just have to go back to home screen and then turn it off and that will stop the usage right? All this is very helpful thanks guys.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"devzqz" wrote:
"DBDukes" wrote:
"devzqz" wrote:

You know sometimes we leave it on live tv or other apps. I will jave to go over that with my wife n kids and monitor that. So then i just have to go back to home screen and then turn it off and that will stop the usage right? All this is very helpful thanks guys.

Think about it like this. Imagine you have a DVD player. Or, if you’re old enough, a VCR. Anyway, a device playing a video. If you turn your TV off, all that does is turn off the screen that your VCR or DVD player is using. The DVD/VCR is still playing the video. When you turn the TV back on, the video is still playing. Not because it paused it then resumed it, but because it kept playing even though the TV was off.

The real difference is that the DVD player will run out of video within an hour or two. Roku won’t.

Perhaps showing them. Start up a video. YouTube, Netflix, doesn’t matter. Something that has some length. Anyway, start playing something with Roku. Let them see haw far along the video is. With the video playing, turn off the TV. Leave it off for one minute. Then, turn the TV back on. The video is still playing, and is now a minute past where it was. It was playing the whole time.

That worked for a family member of mine, but yours may be able to grasp it without being shown. But, once my family member heard it (the VCR analogy kinda helped) and saw it (see was believing for her) she understood.

Good luck.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
devzqz
Level 7

"DBDukes" wrote:
"devzqz" wrote:
"DBDukes" wrote:
"devzqz" wrote:

Think about it like this. Imagine you have a DVD player. Or, if you’re old enough, a VCR. Anyway, a device playing a video. If you turn your TV off, all that does is turn off the screen that your VCR or DVD player is using. The DVD/VCR is still playing the video. When you turn the TV back on, the video is still playing. Not because it paused it then resumed it, but because it kept playing even though the TV was off.

The real difference is that the DVD player will run out of video within an hour or two. Roku won’t.

Perhaps showing them. Start up a video. YouTube, Netflix, doesn’t matter. Something that has some length. Anyway, start playing something with Roku. Let them see haw far along the video is. With the video playing, turn off the TV. Leave it off for one minute. Then, turn the TV back on. The video is still playing, and is now a minute past where it was. It was playing the whole time.

That worked for a family member of mine, but yours may be able to grasp it without being shown. But, once my family member heard it (the VCR analogy kinda helped) and saw it (see was believing for her) she understood.

Good luck.

Awesome. Yes that definitely makes sense. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Will_Setter
Level 7

Yea I pay for a 100mb line but typically get around 50-80... Always getting screwed by the big guy it seems
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

"devzqz" wrote:

Thank you in advance.

Xfinity is obligated to give you what you're paying for. A complaint by you should find a tech at your house very soon (sometime between the hours of 8AM and 5PM between June and December 2019 to 2021) because if they can't provide what you're paying for they'll need to charge you less - and they don't want that.

I have an off-the-wall cable internet provider (internet only - much to their debilitating sadness) in deep-woods WV. I'm paying for 120/15 and actually getting 140/20. If ANYTHING odd happens I call them and they have a tech here in moments (happy customers keep paying - they want me happy).

Squeaky Wheels get the grease. Get Squeaky.

BTW... 35 is plenty for pretty much anything you want to do on a Roku, but that's not the point. You being screwed by your provider is the point - or at least it should be.
0 Kudos