Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouTube seeking issues / Video will not play where I fast forward or rewind to

I am experiencing an issues with the YouTube app on my brand new Roku TV where I will be watching a video and if I try to rewind or fast forward the video, once I click play or select to choose where I want the video to resume, the video begins playing where I have chosen but the buffering logo appears and stays on the screen for a few seconds, then the video goes back and starts playing from the original spot where I tried to rewind/fast forward from. For example, I am watching a video and I am 5:20 into the video. I will try to rewind to 3:40, it begins playing the video at 3:40 for about 5-10 seconds, with the buffering logo overlayed on the video during that time, then the video will go back to the original spot, 5:20, and resume from there.

After I have selected where I want to rewind/fast forward the video to and before the video goes back to the original place (the buffering but still playing phase), I attempt to pause the video and the screen will flash the play button icon on the screen but the video does not pause. The video also shows the seek button at the beginning of the video time bar as if I just started the video. I cannot fast forward and rewind further after that as the seek button will not move from this spot until the video has gone back to the original spot.

If I attempt to rewind/fast forward once more after falling to seek on the video, the video crashes. I get a black screen and I am forced to back out of the video.

Here are some things I have tried doing to fix it to no avail:

• Restart the TV
  • Checked for YouTube/TV software updates
  • Delete and reinstall the YouTube app
  • Sign out and sign back in to my YouTube account
  • Attempted to resume the video by pressing the play button instead of the select button on the controller
  • Attempted to resume the video by pressing the select button instead of the play button on the controller
  • Attempted to use the fast forward and rewind buttons instead of directional buttons on the controller

Please help me fix this as I use YouTube for most of the day and it is extremely frustrating.

Tags (3)
10 REPLIES 10
Jmzahra19
Channel Surfer

Re: YouTube seeking issues / Video will not play where I fast forward or rewind to

I am getting the exact same issue, exactly as described, down to the smallest detail. Hopefully this will bump thos thread back into view. I'm thinking it's a bug that needs to be fixed by the developers.

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: YouTube seeking issues / Video will not play where I fast forward or rewind to

Hi @Jmzahra19

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Could you tell us more about the issue you have about the concern you're running into? We'd like to know more about how we can help! How long has the issue existed? In addition, can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue so we can assist you further?

With detailed information, we will be better able to assist you.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Jmzahra19
Channel Surfer

Hi @RokuLianna,

The original post by @kronosshift exlains the problem in great detail, and it matches exactly the behavior I'm seeing. I just bought the TV, which is a TCL 5-series 55" (Model #55S555). If there is more information I can give, let me know what you need.

I am writing this from work and can get the build number of the YouTube app when I get home. Also, it occurs to me now that there may be a newer version of the app available since it came pre-installed on the TV.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Jmzahra19

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jmzahra19
Channel Surfer

Hi @RokuDanny-R, below is the information as requested.

• TCL Model: 55S555
  • Hardware ID: J105X
  • Serial number: X0210077XE5M
  • SW Version: 11.5.0, build 4317-DK
  • Device ID: S0MKH2A7XE5M
  • YouTube: Version 2.22 build 110005090
  • Issue ID: 5M-033-264

This issue occurs on some but not all videos while using the YouTube channel. It seems possible that longer videos are more affected, though I'm not sure. Steps to replicate:

• Load this video on Roku YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/XJXPoG9sT5Q
  • Let play for a while
  • Try to seek backwards in the video, either using arrow button or rewind button
  • Buffering icon appears for several seconds. During this time, button presses are recognized but have no effect (pause/play, forward, backward).
  • Buffering icon disappears after roughly 15 seconds and the video returns to the original spot before seeking began.

Example:

• Playing at 23:00
  • Seek back to 20:00
  • Video begins playing at 20:00, but buffering icon is overlaid
  • Button presses reveal the seek position to be 0:00 (which is inaccurate) and don't control playback
  • After 15 seconds, buffering icon disappears, and video resumes playback from 23:00

The only workaround that I have found is to fast forward the video so it completes, back out of the video, replay it from the beginning, and then seek forward to where you want to start watching.

Hope this helps. Please fix this bug as it's very annoying!

0 Kudos
Zerocool77

In getting this exact issue ever since I got my new TCL TV, worked fine on my old model. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Greetings @Zerocool77 

Welcome to the Roku Community and thanks for posting regarding the issue you are experiencing with the YouTube channel.

We would be more than happy to look into this issue further, but we will need more details. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
  • video or screenshot of what is happening so we can better understand the issue

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jmzahra19
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R , any progress on the issue we posted about? Asking for more details shouldn't be necessary, it's the same issue that multiple ppl are having.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi @Jmzahra19 

Thanks for the follow up regarding the issue with the YouTube channel.

Please be aware that the appropriate Roku team is still currently investigating the issue and I have no updates to provide at this time. Rest assured, once more information is available I'll be sure post an update in this Community thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos