Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Videos stop playing midway and then have to turn off Direct Play to continue

Why is it that when streaming from my home media player that midway thru playing a .mp4 file the video stops and will not continue until I turn off Direct Play? My media server is Win 10 Pro x64 running on a Intel i7 4790K @ 4 Ghz. with 32 GB RAM with a nVidia RTX-2070 Super. All my drives are 14TB Data Center drives and the computer is connected via Gigabit ethernet into my ASUS AX-86U gaming router that is setup as a Mesh network with a ASUS AC-86U router. I connect all my Roku's via WiFi. Roku's are Ultra 2022 4K. Anyone know what would cause this?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Videos stop playing midway and then have to turn off Direct Play to continue

Hi @geekster123

Welcome to the Roku Community!

There could be several reasons why your media player stops streaming midway through playing an mp4 file, and requires turning off Direct Play on your ROKU. Here are a few potential explanations:

• Unsupported codec: The video file you are trying to play may use a codec that is not supported by your media player or ROKU. In this case, Direct Play may be trying to play the file using the unsupported codec, causing the playback to fail. Turning off Direct Play may force the media player to transcode the file to a compatible codec, allowing it to play successfully.
  • Network issues: Streaming video requires a stable and reliable network connection. If your network connection is weak or unstable, it could cause buffering or interruptions in the playback. Turning off Direct Play may reduce the demands on your network, allowing the file to stream more smoothly.
  • Insufficient hardware resources: Playing high-quality video files can require a lot of processing power and memory.  It may struggle to play the file smoothly. Turning off Direct Play may reduce the demands on your hardware, allowing the file to play more smoothly.

We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos