Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sf2fruticosus
Binge Watcher

Using an SD card with Roku Ultra

I have a Roku Ultra that I bought a few years ago. I have 36 apps installed and every now and then I get a message indicating that I should install an SD card for better loading. But as far as I can tell I have no slot for a card. Advice would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Using an SD card with Roku Ultra

There have been a few "Ultra" models.  What's the model number displayed under Settings->System->About?  I don't have an Ultra with a microSD slot, but I think on my other devices that have it it's partially hidden when the HDMI cable is connected.

For what it's worth, I've always felt the card is more trouble than it's worth.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
sf2fruticosus
Binge Watcher

Re: Using a microSD card with Roku Ultra

Thanks. My Roku Ultra model is 4670X, apparently released October 2019.

You're right -- I didn't see the microSD card slot until I looked underneath the HDMI cable. So I should get a 32 GB microSD card?  Any size larger than that is wasted? 

Here's the spec sheet on my model:

https://techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Roku_Ultra_(4670X)#:~:text=This%20is%20the%20Third%20genera...

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

It's been said that anything over 2GB is wasted and people have seemingly had less issues with older, slower cards, so if you have one lying around, give it a try.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
sf2fruticosus
Binge Watcher

I ordered an 8 GB micro SD card from Amazon for $8 and just installed it in my Roku Ultra player. It formatted fine and is now in use. I don’t imagine that any of my existing 36 apps will be transferred over to the card, but I guess any new apps I install will be put there. I wonder if apps will load faster now. I’ll see how it goes.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.