Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
veggiemuffin
Channel Surfer

Trying to Get Antenna Channels

I have a Panasonic Viera TV purchased in 2012 (don’t watch much TV so it’s still good). I added a Roku stick a couple of years ago and love it. Now I’m getting rid of cable and am trying to get the TV to show the OTA channels. The antenna is screwed into the antenna hookup. But I don’t seem to be getting the channels. In the Live Channel Guide there are tons of shows but none are what I would find by going to my local channel 7 (for example). 

What do I have to do to be able to watch the Today show on my TV? 

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Trying to Get Antenna Channels

You watch over-the-air channels on your TV.  You use the TV remote and switch the TV to the antenna input. The Roku will not be involved at all, until you want to stream, in which case you use the TV remote to switch back to the HDMI input where the Roku is attached.

veggiemuffin
Channel Surfer

That’s what I’ve been doing but was hoping to not have to switch back and forth. Oh well, it’s not like it’s hard to do. Thanks.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@veggiemuffin 

There is a not-exactly-cheap way to watching over the air antenna channels via Roku. I use a Tablo DVR. They run $100-$200 depending on the model. The include TV tuners and the Network Connected devices will make the TV channels available across your network, allowing any Roku device to watch TV, either live or recorded.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
veggiemuffin
Channel Surfer

👍

0 Kudos
Marywalker

What do I need to do to hook up to the antenna

0 Kudos
Marywalker

What device do I need to hook up on the back of the TV in order to get internet no regular channels

0 Kudos
Marywalker

What antenna device do I need to hook up to the TV

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Marywalker, you don't hook up a device, you hook up an antenna.  It doesn't have anything to do with your Roku device unless your Roku device is a Roku TV.

So, do you have a Roku TV or a Roku device connected to a TV?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
JMP3
Binge Watcher

Strega,

Just want to confirm with you about OTA Antenna...

I only have a Roku Stick connected to my TV.

I assume I would need 2 HDMI ports on my TV - one for my Roku Stick and one for the local OTA antenna.

It sounds like an OTA Antenna (e.g. Channel Master Antenna in the Phoenix AZ) can co-exist with my Roku Stick, but in order to use both solutions, I would have to use my TV remote to switch back and forth between the local channel antenna HDMI Port and my Roku Stick streaming HDMI Port. 

Is my understanding of how this would work correct?

Jim

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.