Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Why-PuckYou
Reel Rookie

Sling not working on Roku Ultra

Sling no longer works on my Roku Ultra but works on 3 other platforms - iPhone, Xbox, and desktop/laptop computers. I’ve uninstalled the app and not only restarted it, I actually did a factory reset 3 TIMES!! And reinstalling didn’t get it working again and, yes, I’ve also tried the “Check for updates” option too. Specifically, I checked for Sling AND Roku updates.

Sling works on my other devices, therefore, this is both a Sling AND Roku problem. If I can’t get it working I may just replace my Roku with something else. I don’t know what yet but this is forcing me to look elsewhere.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Sling not working on Roku Ultra

We're grateful to have you here in the Roku Community, @Why-PuckYou!

We'd be happy to be of assistance here and help you determine the cause to get you back on streaming.

Before proceeding, we'd like to assess your concern better and it would be great if you could provide us with additional information such as follows:

• Is this the only app you are having this issue with?
  • Are there any error messages prompted?
  • Did your Roku Ultra receive any software update prior to this happening that might have triggered this issue?
  • Do you have other Roku devices? If so, can you access this app on them?

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Warm regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Why-PuckYou
Reel Rookie

• Yes, this is the only app that crashes on my Roku Ultra.
  • No error messages ever appear, the Sling logo screen changes to a waiting spinner for several minutes.  Eventually, the app spinner goes away and takes me back to the Roku home page.
  • I don't pay attention to what version of the Roku OS is installed.  But I can tell you that I did check for Roku updates after every time I did a factory reset of the Roku.  I even pushed the Reset button on the bottom of the Roku for one of my factory resets.  And I also checked the Sling app for any updates after re-installing, after doing a factory reset of the Roku.  But, no, I don't know if this problem started immediately after an update.
  • I have no other Roku devices to test this on.
0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the added information, @Why-PuckYou.

In this case, I'll coordinate this with the team to determine the cause and find you the best resolution possible so you can access the Sling app on your Roku. 

With this being said, kindly provide me with the following details for the investigation:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and current software version. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • Channel build version. 

I'll be looking forward to your update.

Regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Why-PuckYou
Reel Rookie

@RokuCarly, here are the items you requested:

Roku:
Device Model:  4800X - Roku Ultra
Serial Number:  X010007FA165
Device Id:  S02A215FA165
Software Version:  13.1.4 build 1510-C2

Sling:
Software (Channel) Version:  8.127 build 16687

Tracker Id:
65-363-920
0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Why-PuckYou.

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with the precise details we've requested. Rest assured that we have already coordinated this with the team to conduct a thorough investigation. 

Once we receive any updates regarding this case, we'll let you know. 

In the meantime, we humbly request for your patience and understanding as we work on this. 

Warm regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Endymion
Reel Rookie

Re: Sling TV will not load up. All other apps work

I am having this EXACT issue on MULTIPLE Roku Ultras (4670x and 4802x). I am a new Sling customer who has pre-paid 3 months (and waiting on an AirTV2), Sling says the issue is "With the Roku hardware" and Roku support of course says it's the Sling App (which I'm sure it is). Both sides send me back and forth to one another, and claim to be "escalating" the issue, but nothing happens. Sling works fine on my PC, and my android Phones and tablet, but not TWO DIFFERENT Rokus....getting any kind of actual support is near impssible from either end.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Welcome to the Roku Community, @Endymion!

We appreciate you letting us know about the playback issues you've experienced on the Sling app on your Roku Ultra streaming devices. 

The team is aware of this issue and is currently investigating it. We'd like to include your device in the process. In order to narrow down the cause of the issue, we would appreciate it if you could share with us your device details such as follows:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and current software version. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • Channel build version.
  • Specific troubleshooting steps you've tried so far.

We'll be looking forward to your response so that we can check this further and provide you with a swift resolution.

Warm regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Endymion
Reel Rookie

@RokuCarly I've got 2 units exhibiting the problem, but I'll start with the first one and put the other in another post.

Model: 4670x

Serial: YJ007G740559

Device ID: KW9987740559

Software: 13.1.4 Build 1512-46

Tracker ID: 59-368-217

Couldn't get the tracker ID to appear punching in the code when the issue was actually happening real-time, had to go back to the menu first then issue the command to get the tracker ID, hopefully this is also fine.

Sling Build Version: 8.129 Build 16850

I've rebooted (both from the "restart" option, and a "hard reset" by pulling power for 60+ seconds and plugging back in.

I've tried removing and reinstalling the channel app, and checking for updates, as well as doing reboots in between these things at times, I've probably done that 10 times or more in various orders.

I've also rebooted my modem and router multiple times (that process takes 20-40 minutes because my ISP can take up to 30 minutes for a full modem reboot cycle on both ends, and my router takes 10 or so itself and has to be done once the modem is back up, so I'd rather not be asked to do that a bunch (Both Sling and Roku have asked for it a few times before).

I've reported the issue to Sling who claims to be "escalating it to the dev team" but with no timeframe for resolution.

It should be noted that all other channels I use work fine (YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, etc.)

My Roku does have a 32GB MicroSD card inserted, and I've tried these steps with and without it being present, with no change as well.

Thanks for your time and attention,

Endy

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Endymion!

Thank you for providing us with the requested details precisely. 

Rest assured that I have forwarded these details to the appropriate team for investigation. No worries! Once I've received updates regarding this case, I'll post them here.

Thank you for your continuous patience and understanding as we work on this.

Warm regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.