Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smamm
Reel Rookie

Roku Media Player and choppy video when viewing H.265 1080p files

In my media library, I've discovered that videos in the h.265 format have choppy stuttering video that's unwatchable via Roku Media Player.   Videos in h.264 are fine and play normally.   The problematic h.265 media do not experience the same problem when played on my Windows computer via VLC, or on my Nvidia Shield via the MX media player.

The videos are on a USB drive and played directly via the respective device's media player in every scenario.   There are no audio problems, only video problems.

The problem only occurs when attempting to watch the h.265 files on my TCL Roku TVs.   The problem occurs on both the 3 year old 55" tv as well as the newer model 75R655.  I've read on other threads and boards that people are having the same problem on new Roku Ultra devices as well.

I've also read that a utility that re-encodes the media can solve the problem.  But that's a drastic step when considering a number of files in a media library.

Anyone have any tips or advice on how to fix?   Again, the same file plays fine elsewhere, just not on the Roku Media Player.

Labels (2)
2 REPLIES 2
trleith
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Media Player and choppy video when viewing H.265 1080p files

I seem to be having the same problem on Roku Ultra (4640 series) , except video in question is 480P. It was encoded with Handbrake.

It appears to be playing at a very slow frame rate, like a security camera, but the sound is perfect, both stereo and surround.

This is my first attempt at video. Will do some further experimentation.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
trleith
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Media Player and choppy video when viewing H.265 1080p files

Reporting back:

1. I copied the self-same mkv onto a USB drive and plugged it in to the Roku directly. Exact same symptom. This rules out Plex and the network
  2. My LG TV has an inbuilt Plex client -- the self-same MKV plays fine there.

This points to a difficulty in the Roku device itself.

0 Kudos