Channels & viewing

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Political propaganda used to brainwash people currently available on Roku

I’d like to know why channels like “Burrow” are allowed on Roku? This channel is literally about going down the “rabbit hole,” and “red pilling” people. This is what right wing conspiracy theorists call it when they recruit more people into their growing group of possible future terrorists, which is really brainwashing people with misinformation/disinformation… that is complete political propaganda about Q anon. I don’t understand why this is available on Roku, and I see a class action law$uit in your future. Do you know how many suicides I’ve seen lately because people are getting frustrated that they’re conspiracy theories aren’t coming to fruition…leading them to hopelessness and depression, and you’re on here allowing them to feed more conspiracy theories to more people… there is a class action law$uit in your future…Good luck Roku. 

45 REPLIES 45
mop_891
Level 10

Re: Political propaganda used to brainwash people currently available on Roku

Can't happen all disputes go to binding arbitration:

https://docs.roku.com/published/disputeresolution/en/us

Is that honestly where your concern lies?

mop_891
Level 10

Nope, just stating a fact. All major companies do this. Just how it is.

0 Kudos

Arbitration is an agreement entered into by people who have Roku subscriptions, and agree to those terms. I’m talking about suits led by family members who haven’t agreed to those terms, and therefore would not be bound by them.

Karaguckes
Level 7

Mainstream media brainwashes people. Let people watch what they want to watch. We don't live in a communist country

Roku is violating its own standards by hosting a new Qanon channel, "Burrow" (as reported yesterday)

Roku is in danger of prosecution or at least civil action re the Burrow channel. If you really look at what Qanon does, it makes terrorist threats from time to time. It also endangers lives by spreading anti-vaccine misinformation. The Burrow channel is 100% misinformation. People could get hurt and sue Roku.

Why does no one check content on a Roku channel?

As per Media Matters:

Streaming platform Roku has allowed a channel dedicated to QAnon conspiracy theories to launch, even though it seemingly violates the platform’s rules and precedent that disallows this kind of content. Just weeks after the channel launched, it has been installed hundreds of thousands of times, and Roku may also be earning revenue for ads being run on the channel.

The channel, called Burrow, launched in early December and is categorized by Roku as “educational.” The channel’s logo features a rabbit jumping into a hole, seemingly referencing the phrase “going down the rabbit hole.” The channel’s slogan appears to be the QAnon-related phrase “follow the white rabbit,” and the channel calls itself “The Redpill Network” (with “Redpill” as an image instead of the word), referring to an embrace of far-right and conspiratorial beliefs.

The content featured on Burrow includes sections for videos dedicated to the false QAnon and Pizzagate conspiracy theories, along with sections for “Human Trafficking / Elite Pedophelia” and “Rituals and Satanic Cults.” The channel also includes QAnon and Pizzagate-related films such as “Fall of Cabal” and “Out of Shadows,” and it promotes content from the conspiracy theory network Infowars.

All of this content seems to violate Roku’s own rules, which prohibit content that could “incite violence, place individuals or groups in imminent harm, or are otherwise unlawful or encouraging of illegal activity,” or “contain false, irrelevant or misleading information.”

Binding arbitration? There are other ways to sue over this...

0 Kudos

Yes I've been spreading the news on this and there's much outrage on the internet. It's not only political propaganda, Qanon also spreads anti-vaccine misinformation that could lead to deaths.

Has ROKU reacted to these complaints?

mmmm99
Level 7

Re: Roku is violating its own standards by hosting a new Qanon channel, "Burrow" (as repor

QAnon is a dangerous and deluded cult that advocates for violence. I will not associate or support anyone, any organizing, or any business that enables it. If this Burrow channel remains on Roku I will close my accounts and will using the service