Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
msghoff
Channel Surfer

Please explain "Live Channel".

Jump to solution

Example: Unxplained Zone. It has the same daily shows week after week. The same season and the same episodes. It is like Groundhog Day.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Please explain "Live Channel".

Jump to solution

"Live channel" just means it's always streaming something that you have no control over as opposed to VoD (Video on demand) where you choose what you want to watch and when you want to watch it.  I'd wager that 99.9% of "Live channels" never show anything that's happening as you're watching it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

msghoff
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

That you for the explanation.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
renojim

Jump to solution

"Live channel" just means it's always streaming something that you have no control over as opposed to VoD (Video on demand) where you choose what you want to watch and when you want to watch it.  I'd wager that 99.9% of "Live channels" never show anything that's happening as you're watching it.

msghoff
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

That you for the explanation.

0 Kudos
DellStreamer
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@msghoff  If you want true live tv streaming you need to use an antenna or sign up for a live tv streaming service.

0 Kudos
msghoff
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This has nothing to do with my question about ROKU's "Live Channel".

@DellStreamer wrote:

@msghoff  If you want true live tv streaming you need to use an antenna or sign up for a live tv streaming service.

0 Kudos
DellStreamer
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

It does actually. The live channels you see on the Roku live tv channel are not truly live. Some are some aren’t. Most of the channels are broadcasting free content from other channels such as PlutoTV or Filmrise. If you have a Roku TV and use an antenna your over the air channels will be incorporated into the live guide. But true live tv is something like local news or sports. Watching the news live on your local NBC, CBS, ABC or Fox affiliate is true live tv. Most of what you see on the Roku Live tv channel is also available on demand from those channels such as PlutoTV, Filmrise and more. 

0 Kudos
msghoff
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@DellStreamer wrote:

It does actually. The live channels you see on the Roku live tv channel are not truly live. Some are some aren’t. Most of the channels are broadcasting free content from other channels such as PlutoTV or Filmrise. If you have a Roku TV and use an antenna your over the air channels will be incorporated into the live guide. But true live tv is something like local news or sports. Watching the news live on your local NBC, CBS, ABC or Fox affiliate is true live tv. Most of what you see on the Roku Live tv channel is also available on demand from those channels such as PlutoTV, Filmrise and more. 

You are not telling me anything I don't already know. Just stop replying.

0 Kudos
DellStreamer
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@msghoff   Then why ask if you know the answer already? The Roku channel is free for a reason. It’s not true live TV that you actually pay for. They basically grabbed free content from other free content companies  and put it all into one channel. That is why you’re seeing the same thing over and today it’s not actually truly live. Bro cool my call it live PV but it’s actually on to be a content that they were airing  at a certain time

0 Kudos
msghoff
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My question was resolved by renojim and marked as Accept as Solution. No further input is required. Again, stop replying.

renojim

Jump to solution

@msghoff, don't worry, @DellStreamer will be gone soon enough only to reappear under a different name.  It's like whack-a-mole with him.