Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MisterNybble
Channel Surfer

Re: PlayOn channel no longer works

Jump to solution

Solved???  How is this listed as solved.  Now playon sent an email about casting from you phone, which is stupid....let me use another device to use my Roku, or another companies media player without ad skip.  These are not a solution, just a bad workaround.  I don't think playon is developing anything, just taking our money... No more.

0 Kudos
Avrution
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

They did say they are looking into alternatives.  Most likely that means expanding the cloud app or making a new one.  Unfortunately, their focus now is cloud subscriptions.

"While we look into alternatives, please see the information below for options for your Roku player."

0 Kudos
sfoster95
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This is the response I got from PlayOn hope it helps. I did have success watching unrecorded shows via the Roku Media player. 

The PlayOn and MyMedia channels for Roku were made using the old SDK which Roku decided to no longer support. We had lost the ability to update these channels a while back, but the channels remained in the channel store. Unfortunately, Roku decided to delete these channels and other channels that used their old SDK over the last few days. While we look into alternatives, please see the information below for options for your Roku player.

For PlayOn Home recordings (if you prefer to use a mobile app), you need to Cast directly from the PlayOn Cloud app Home section to the Roku player. The Cloud cast channel should launch and your recordings should begin playback.

Using the Cast feature from the Home tab in the PlayOn Cloud app does not require the use of the Cloud service.

For PlayOn recordings on your PlayOn Home PC (if you prefer to use the PC app), you can Cast directly from the PlayOn Home app to the Roku player. The Cloud cast channel should launch and your recordings should begin playback.

For PlayOn Cloud recordings, you need to Cast directly from the PlayOn Cloud app to the Roku player. The Cloud cast channel should launch and your recordings should begin playback.

Casting from the PlayOn Cloud app or PlayOn Home is the best alternative if captions and AdSkip are important.

Keep in mind, the PlayOn Cloud Cast channel is a receiver only. It will not launch with any type of interface on your Roku.

For access to any Media Library content you may have, the Roku Media Player channel is an option if a dedicated channel is preferred on the Roku. Keep in mind, this app was not developed by PlayOn and does not support our new captions or AdSkip.

0 Kudos
DIYPowerUp

Jump to solution

Roku media player detects the playon media server, and can play from it, free. no fire stick needed.

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/1829ae20b082957f963d7dab42abf7e5/roRokuMediaPlayerku-media-player

0 Kudos
ToddSB

Jump to solution

I'm about to do the same thing--sad, because I like Roku's interface far better than amazon's firestick!

But with Roku not suporting playon anymore, it leaves me little choice.

0 Kudos
ToddSB

Jump to solution

Yes, but ad skip doesn't work when you do that, right?

The only way to use playon with Roku and get the ad skip feature is, I think, to use the playon cloud app and "cast" a show to Roku.

Or am I wrong?

0 Kudos
KRisYancy

Jump to solution

This option no longer works.  When I got hold of Roku support, I was told "Roku Media Player" is no longer supporting PlayOn Server folders.  He could not/would not tell me why. 

It will let me navigate the folder structure of my PlayOn Server, however, will show no files at all, and states "No Compatible Files found in".  No matter which folder, or Channel including "Roku Channel" via the PlayOn Server, I go to, it states the same thing.  No matter what the file format is.  I have multiple video file formats, of which I get the same message.  I only have this issue with the Roku Media Player app, as my other TV has Apple TV, and also is a Samsung 2022 model TV, both recognize and are able to play the PlayOn Server with no issues.

Currently I am looking into other Options.

Included are 2 Pics verifying my statements.

Roku Media Player Full Page

Error Message

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @KRisYancy

Thanks for posting here in the Community.

Channels, Themes, or Screensavers can be removed at any time for a variety of different reasons. At times, our content providers may choose to remove their channel from our platform at their own request. In other cases, a channel may be removed by us if it violates our terms and conditions. We take reports of piracy or any other unlawful activity very seriously.

For more information, please see our support page here: Why is a channel no longer available on my Roku® streaming device?

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos