Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WestBeachSide
Binge Watcher

Options for watching NFL games?

I am trying to sort through ways to watch NFL games. Normally, I watch with my cable provider on CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX. But, I want to cut the cable to save $55/month. Unfortunately, I live in an area where an antenna only picks up ABC.

Sling TV does not include CBS or ABC, but includes the NFL network. My understanding is that the NFL network only broadcasts Thursday night games.

What other options am I missing? It would be nice if I could not subscribe to anything for 6 months of the year, then, during the NFL season, pay for some subscription(s) so that I can watch perhaps 49er and maybe a few Raider games.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: Options for watching NFL games?

I cut the cord about 10 years ago. I use YouTube TV to give me all my locals. Sling is a joke cause you still need an antenna. Prime is where Thursday night football is and ESPN has Monday night football. You can use YouTube TV, FuboTV, Hulu + Live TV or DirecTV Stream. If you live in the same area as your favorite team then you can watch the Sunday games on CBS, ABC, NBC or Fox. I’m in CT so I’m a Pats fan. I see all the Patriots games just fine. 

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

I subscribe to DirecTV Sunday NFL ticket for out of market games, I use the stream version not a satellite. Starting last season DirecTV made a stream version for Sunday NFL ticket. It is awesome to watch my favorite team and watch any other games that are not blacked out in my area. The only downside is I get only one stream and if I want to watch football on another TV, I have to logout of one TV then login on the other TV.

0 Kudos
WestBeachSide
Binge Watcher

Well, I'm reading that YouTube TV is $64.99/mo. I'm only paying $55/month more for Spectrum cable.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Your paying more than just $55/month for cable I’m sure. Add in the fees, rental equipment and otter things it’s more. Is that just basic cable? Did you compare the channel line ups? Or are you under a special deal and when the deal expires it triples? Google cord cutting. There is a lot of good information out there. I was paying $200 for Cox bundle. Home phone, internet and tv. I dropped phone and TV. I’m paying $65 for internet only and $65 for YouTube TV. That’s a $70 savings. You need to look at the entire picture and your complete bill

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@WestBeachSide   I am looking at Spectrums website. It’s $49 for only 12 months. Then it with go up by at least $35. Plus taxes, fees, equipment rental. Plus your restricted to the cable box. If you went with YouTube TV or DirecTV Stream there is no equipment. You can take it anywhere with you. You can watch it on your Roku, phone, laptop or tablet. You can share it with up to 6 family members. You have unlimited DVR. 

0 Kudos
WestBeachSide
Binge Watcher

I am currently paying $130 for Internet and basic cable TV.  If I dropped Cable TV, my bill would go down to $75. Spectrum may quote lower prices for NEW customers. I am not a new customer.

I currently have 2 Roku devices. I'm thinking that I will return my 2 Spectrum converter boxes (that probably raises my rate by $6 a month or more) and disconnect cable TV until football season, at which time I can re-sign up for Spectrum basic cable if there are no better options (Sling TV, Roku, etc). At the very least I'll save $55 a month for 6 months out of the year.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@WestBeachSide  So are you a “new” Spectrum customer? I think your misunderstanding the concept of cord cutting. So if you ditch cable tv for 6 months you don’t need live tv? You don’t watch the news? Sports? Weekly shows? If cord cutting didn’t save people money then no one would do it in the first place. I have Cox internet. So any deals for tv I am excluded from. If I added Cox Contour tv to my internet I would be paying about $180. I could switch to Frontier but they only offer 25 Mbps in my area 

0 Kudos
WestBeachSide
Binge Watcher

I have been using Spectrum Internet and basic cable TV for years.

The ONLY time of the year that I watch NBC, CBS, ABC, or FOX is during football season.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.