Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CommunityLeader
Binge Watcher

Only Youtube not working - "No connection Connect to the internet now, or set it up later"

I have unplugged and re-plugged the Roku. I have done a system restart. I have updated the system software. I un-installed the Youtube app. I re-installed the Youtube app. I checked to make sure Youtube is "up" and online via a web browser. I used Bing to check for power-outages at the various Google / Youtube data centers. No acts of God or natural disasters appear to be affecting Google or Youtube.

All Roku apps work except Youtube. I get the error message:

No connection

Connect to the internet now, or set it up later at: Settings> Network> Check connection.

How is it that the Youtube app cannot accurately detect that the internet is working fine? Why is there no "continue anyway" button to bypass this error? Why have I seen so many closed threads about this topic here on roku.com? Clearly this issue has never been truly fixed.

Please, Roku, take an actual deep look into this problem. The network is fine. The internet is fine. All the other apps work perfectly. The only problem is this longstanding, unaddressed problem with the Youtube app and simply "closing" the threads as "solved" isn't actually helping anyone.

Thanks for your time.

22 REPLIES 22
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Only Youtube not working - "No connection Connect to the internet now, or set it up later"

Hi @CommunityLeader,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing this issue on YouTube. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We agree that there have been cases of this behavior on the platform. In order for us to better assist you, could you please provide more information? When did you first start experiencing this issue, and how long has it been happening? Additionally, do you have another Roku device, and have you been able to replicate the issue on that device as well? 

We appreciate your cooperation and look forward to resolving this issue for you. 

Best regards, 

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CommunityLeader
Binge Watcher

Re: Only Youtube not working - "No connection Connect to the internet now, or set it up later"

First, thanks for the response!

The Roku Youtube app started saying "No connection Connect to the internet now, or set it up later" on Oct 16, a Monday. Youtube app had been working properly every single day prior to Oct 16 (and I did watch it daily). Now it just gives the "no connection" error. All the other apps are working properly.

After a few days I started searching for others that had seen the "No connection Connect to the internet now, or set it up later" message and ended up here in the roku.com forum. I tried all the usual fixes (power, reset, software update, re-install) but nothing seems to help. I don't have another active Roku device I can get to easily unfortunately.

I eventually brought my Roku to a friends house, in case my IP address or something associated with my connection was somehow interfering - but I got the same result. All the other apps worked on my friend's connection, but Youtube still says "No connection Connect to the internet now, or set it up later".

It is so bizarre. I have resorted to using another video app, called Rumble and it works quite well but I would love to get Youtube working again.

Thanks for your time!

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the added information, @CommunityLeader.

We highly appreciate you for sharing your concern precisely. Rest assured that we will forward this to the appropriate Roku team for further review and to fix this as soon as possible. Kindly provide us with the following details below to help us effectively:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • What version/build is the app/channel? (this can be found by highlighting the channel/app on the Home screen and pressing the Star* button)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)

We'll be looking forward to your response, as we are more than willing to sort this out for you. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CommunityLeader
Binge Watcher

Re: Only Youtube not working - "No connection Connect to the internet now, or set it up later&q

Thanks again for the reply.

The problem persists. Youtube app still gives the "no connection error".

The details:

Model: 4640X - Roku Ultra

Software version: 12.5.0 * build 4175-29

GC version: 10.2.518

Tracker ID: 97-429-856

Youtube app Version 2.20 build 110005158

Please let me know if you are going to remote login to the device.

Thanks again for your help!

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Only Youtube not working - "No connection Connect to the internet now, or set it up later&q

Hi, @CommunityLeader!

Thanks for providing us with the requested information. Rest assured that we will forward your concern and the information you have provided to the appropriate Roku team for further review. Once we have more information and updates from the team about this, we will make sure to update the Community.

In the meantime, we highly appreciate you for bringing this to our attention, as well as your patience and understanding as we work on this. 

Let us know if there's anything else we can be of assistance with.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CommunityLeader
Binge Watcher

Re: Only Youtube not working - "No connection Connect to the internet now, or set it up later&a

Hi again,

Still getting the same "No connection Connect to the internet now, or set it up later" error.

One extra bit of information is that after I uninstalled and re-installed the youtube roku app, it no longer cycled the gray background Youtube animation. Now, and forever after the re-install, the Roku Youtube app just locks-up after launch.

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Only Youtube not working - "No connection Connect to the internet now, or set it up later&a

Thanks for the update, @CommunityLeader.

We still have no information to share regarding this concern at the moment. However, we'll make sure to do a follow-up regarding this with the appropriate team. Once we have gathered recent information, we'll update this thread.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CommunityLeader
Binge Watcher

Hi again Roku,

There is a technology for Windows called Dot Net. It has a sort of convoluted installation process in many cases and using the technology can lead to a lot of non-optimal installations. Sometimes necessary components aren't installed completely, sometimes older versions of components overwrite newer versions, etc. Dot Net can be a mess. One Microsoft dev wrote something called the "Dot Net Cleanup" tool which, as you can imagine, thoroughly uninstalls every version of Dot Net so the user can do a clean install.

Surely the devs in Roku have a cache or uninstall tool that can thoroughly nuke a poorly working Roku app install (or nuke a not-fully-completed uninstall). Do your devs have any tools I could side-load somehow onto my Roku so I could do a full uninstall of Roku Youtube app? Would you mind asking if such a tool exists? I would love to get Youtube working.

Thanks for your time and attention.

0 Kudos
CommunityLeader
Binge Watcher

Hi Roku!

It's been a few months (three?) since I encountered this "no connection" error.

I've bought a new streaming device from ONN, which I got at Wal-Mart and Youtube works well. But I would still like to get the Roku working as my Grandma is used to it and won't upgrade.

Has any progress been made? Is anyone looking at this error?

Thanks for your time!

0 Kudos