Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomsey
Channel Surfer

Re: New Max (HBOMax) not available in Brazil on ROKU

Hi skipsherv1.

Thanks for the info.

The account was initially set up in Brazil (Roku express was bought in Brazil as well).  He does have the Max channel on his Roku its just that when he clicks it, it launches normally but then offers a "Max is not available in your region" message. I guess we can try to reset the roku and create a new account and see if it helps. Thanks again.

tomsey
Channel Surfer

Added: Weird.. in this article it states Max won't be available in Brazil until late 2023 and that Brazilians will be able to continue using HBO Max in the meantime:

https://portugal.postsen.com/movies/365394/Max-when-will-HBO-Max%E2%80%99s-replacement-streaming-arr...

Of course on the roku it seems that you can't get hbo max anymore.

On the computer, the only offering is HBO max which sorta agrees with the article since Max isn't availalble to him in Brazil through HBO online separate from the Roku.

But it seems some are able to get it with a roku reset and new account. 

Anyway, will give it a shot. 

0 Kudos
tomsey
Channel Surfer

Ok so I had my friend (using video chat of whatsapp and quick assist on his Windows  10 laptop) factory reset his Roku express player. Then using quick assist I created a new email account specifically for the Roku with his web browser (with his ip address). Then I created a new Roku account with that email address using his web browser. Then we set up the Roku on the website and TV and it offered HBO Max so we added that and it works fine. Wasn't able to add Tubi or the Roku Channel (couldn't find them) but TRC didn't really seem to work much before anyway. So, other than those two, we were able to add back all the channels including HBO max and everything is working good. Maybe HBO max will morph into Max at some point I don't know but at least he has HBO Max back. 

Thanks for the suggestion!

tomsey
Channel Surfer

Yeah so my friend definitely did not have a Brazilian Roku account and it seems this was the problem. I guess maybe because when it was setup initially a year ago I helped him do it (I'm in USA, he's in Brazil - he is disabled so he needs help doing things) and perhaps me being in the US with a US ip address caused the Roku to create a US account or not create a Brazilian account properly. 

Now that the Roku was factory reset and the new Roku account is Brazilian, when I log into it with his ip address via quick assist or using a vpn (the account is in Portuguese), I can see that Max is not available, only HBO Max. Also, a lot of the American content channels like NBC news are gone as is Tubi and the Roku Channel. I recall reading that the Roku channel content is only available in the US (and maybe the UK and Mexico?). It never worked anyway.

But, in addition to HBO max there is also Disney+, Netflix, Pluto TV,  Apple TV, Amazon Prime and Youtube (and Paramount +). I will probably sign him up for the year of Disney+ for R$ 280. 

Hopefully HBO max will convert to Max at some point since Max is a better designed app/channel and has a lot more content.

Anyway, it is much better like this since whatever channels are available in the Brazilian Roku will actually work in Brazil. Before we were never sure if something would work and a lot of stuff didn't (like TRC).

Thanks to everyone for the information and help!

The image below was taken from his account. 

Capture.JPG

Same issue here at home: New Max app (ex-HBO Max) doesn't work on my two Rokus. In both devices same error msg: "Not available in your region yet".

HBO Max streaming channel was working fine on both devices until this **bleep** update.

0 Kudos
Jmaroto
Channel Surfer

Double check that the country on the Roku setting match the country in your Roku account and your HBO account.  Mine had a missmatch and after all in sync error was fixed.

JMaroto's advice solved the issue. This requirement (country in Roku account + HBO account or Paramount+ account must match) should make headlines and be known by support people at HBO and Paramount+ contact center. Those folks don't have a clue of what's happening. 

tomsey
Channel Surfer

Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase one of the Roku voice remotes that can control the TV power and volume in Brazil? Something that is compatible with the Roku express sold in Brazil?

It seems that there are only two Roku models officially sold in Brazil (Roku express and Roku express 4k) and neither of them comes with the voice remote, only the simple remote.

I've looked in Brazilian amazon and there are plenty of voice type Roku compatible remotes but these are only for Roku TV's not the players like the express.

I'd like to try and avoid ordering it internationally because it is more expensive and takes a long time to receive. Sending it myself would cost a small fortune.

The remote looks like this:

Capture.JPG

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

skipsherv1
Channel Surfer

A compatible remote is available on Mercado Livre, but it doesn't say in the description if it has a voice option.  You can ask the sellers questions, though.  However, I gave up trying to keep the batteries from draining in my remote every ten days!  It's a known issue where your remote loses connection with the ROKU and drains the batteries trying to reconnect.  Frustrating problem.  Luckily, you can download the ROKU app onto your smartphone and control it through the wifi.  That's another option.  Here is the link for the remote on Mercado Livre.  https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-2651720259-controle-remoto-tv-roku-tv-aoc-4-pilhas-_JM#posit...

tomsey
Channel Surfer

Thanks skipsherv1. I think that model might confuse him but I'll consider it. Thanks again.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.