Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lpshanet
Binge Watcher

Netflix live event rewind not working

I was watching a replay of the new Chris Rock special (Selective Outrage). The original had been a live stream, and the UX was slightly different from a typical recorded program. When I tried to rewind, the scrub bar would show up and count the time code backwards normally, as if I was rewinding. But when I pressed play, nothing happened. It would just stay there. There was no way to make it respond. If I pressed the back button, it would just start playing again where it had originally been before the rewind attempt. 

Seems like an annoying bug to not be able to rewind or fast forward a special like this. But even if they're going to not allow those functions, they should say so when you attempt it, and not show the counter rewinding. Hope this isn't the case for all formerly live events. 

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Netflix live event rewind not working

Hi @lpshanet

Thank you for your inquiry!

Does the issue only occur on Netflix or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

Have you tried removing the affected channel Netflix and then re-install again? If not, we suggest starting there. In some cases, removing the affected channel and then re-installing it may help. Restart your device before re-adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. We recommend doing this through the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If there is no Power submenu, proceed to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link for more information: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
MrBellsMom

Same thing happens to me as well. It will fast forward or rewind but the play button doesn't work. It only starts again, still at the original point if I press the down arrow. I fell asleep watching and now I have to watch it all over again. Very annoying..

dj_beav

Chris rock doesn’t want you to, so you cannot

0 Kudos
lpshanet
Binge Watcher

Unclear if that's a joke, or if serious what makes you think that. Makes no sense, as it only happens on Roku and not Apple TV. Unless you're saying Chris Rock hates Roku. I can understand disabling fast forward, as is common on PPV. But there is no good reason I can think of to disable rewind. 

Further, I've never seen it done where it pretends to be rewinding and then just doesn't play. When it's disabled by design, it usually causes a pop-up saying the feature is disabled. Or just doesn't respond when you try. This is not that. 

Was this just shooting from the hip?

0 Kudos
lpshanet
Binge Watcher

Just the one program (the Chris Rock special) on the one channel (Netflix). It was Netflix's first live event. So somehow encoded differently. The scroll bar looks different from other Netflix programs.

But it's a Roku-only problem. This behavior doesn't happen on my Apple TV. It rewinds fine there. Also, when viewing on Roku, the pre-show and after show aren't available. But those both appear on Apple TV, 

UPDATE: Doing the system reset did not resolve the behavior. 

0 Kudos
Tivo7777

I have a regular smart tv not Roku and I can’t rewind or forward. I think it’s meant to be that way on purpose.  Odd 

0 Kudos
lpshanet
Binge Watcher

There are definitely other streaming players that are offering FF and REW on the show. So it's not meant that way due to Netflix or the producers. Apple TV and Chrome offer the functions. Seems like yet another case where the Roku functionality is poorer than other players. Same is true for ESPN, where Roku's app is much worse than most others, offering no preview when you REW and FF. 

0 Kudos
jonzy28
Reel Rookie

I have Apple TV also but haven't found it listed for viewing there.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @lpshanet

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

For more information about that channel's content and functionality, you'll want to contact the Netflix channel support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos