Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David54

MLB tv blacking out games it shouldn't

I purchased the MLB.TV app and it has been deducted from my bank and MLB.TV verified when I called to fix the issue I'm about to discuss.

First, I live in Seattle, WA.

I keep getting games on the east coast that are blacked out.  Obviously they are not local and even MLB.TV said the only game I should have blacked out is the Seattle Mariners.  I could actually view a mariner game which I should not be able to do.  I'd like to watch the Washington Nationals but they keep getting blacked out.  A random out of market game seems to get blacked out as well.   Today it's Baltimore at Texas.  Not sure if anyone actually works at ROKU but I can show them a map that states WA/TX are out of market.  Wait, Of course no humans work at Roku, so anyone know how to remedy this?  I verified my zip code already.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: mlb tv blacking out games it shouldn't

MLB may be using your internet connection's IP address to determine your location.

You can use IP info websites like the ones listed below to see where the IP number assigned by your internet provider indicates you are located.  If this doesn't represent your actual area, you can contact your internet provider and ask to be reassigned an IP in your area.

Some IP info websites:
https://www.iplocation.net/
https://www.iplocation.com/
https://tools.keycdn.com/geo
https://www.ipfingerprints.com/

A web search for "IP Location" can find many more.  They aren't sll equally accurate so it's a good idea to check several of them.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
David54

Thank you, I will have to look into that.  The lady at MLB.TV mentioned something about Roku and the IP address situation you replied about.

I also got an email from MLB.TV rambling on about rules and why some blackouts occur.  Their sales pitch is you can watch ANY out of market game.....apparently not but you don't find this out until after you pay.  Luckily I like other teams as well.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Sometimes the problem is that teams have claimed territories as their own that any reasonable person would consider to be ridiculous.  Many of these areas overlap.  The MLB app has to honor these areas and black out home games for any of these teams. They also have to black out games that are nationally available via broadcast tv or nationally available apps like YouTube or Apple.

This is the most recent map I could find of the MLB "home" areas:

https://images.app.goo.gl/w8sWC57gg1ftSbPt5

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
WAZ2

I’m having the same issue regarding blackouts. The problem is with Roku!, but I can’t speak to a human to fix the problem.

0 Kudos
WAZ2

I spent an hour on the phone with some technician in some country halfway around the world who did his best but could not fix the issue. Good bye, Roku. Hello, Apple TV.

0 Kudos
smoowka
Reel Rookie

Re: MLB tv blacking out games it shouldn't

I understand your frustration about not being able to watch Washington Nationals games. There seems to be some technical glitch or error in their policy of shutting down games. Even more perplexing is the fact that random off-market games like Baltimore vs. Texas are also closed to you. I recommend reading click for info reviews on new games. I'm not sure if anyone at Roku can help with this problem, but it's worth contacting their support team. They may have some thoughts or suggestions on how to solve the problem. It also wouldn't hurt to double-check your zip code to make sure it's entered correctly in your MLB.TV account.

0 Kudos
TJSlice

It’s definitely a Roku problem.  I have 2 Apple TVs connected to the same network that show the games just fine in the mlb app.  Go to the Roku, and they are blacked out.

0 Kudos
Michael456

Encountering MLB.TV blackouts despite residing in Seattle, WA is bewildering. Non-local games like Washington Nationals and Baltimore-Texas matchups shouldn't be obscured. MLB.TV's hints  that only Seattle Mariners should blackout is perplexing. Zip code verification done, yet blackouts persist. Reach out to MLB.TV again, stressing erroneous blackouts and requesting location settings refresh. Persistence is key when technical glitches hint at unexpected issues. Keep pursuing a resolution for uninterrupted game enjoyment. In the spirit of a spelling bee, spell out the solution for sweet victory against these puzzling blackouts!

0 Kudos