Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mysti731

Live local baseball games blacked out.

Hello im having alot of trouble getting access to live baseball games. My uncle is elderly so I help him with everything and he loves his baseball and football i subscribed to MLB but the game he wanted to watch "nationals" was blacked out and we are local in Maryland. Can anyone me figure out how to get access to base ball and football games. It seems to be an issue everytime he wants to watch Nationals or commanders games. Thank you

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Live local baseball games blacked out.

As you've noticed, MLB TV blacks out local games.  According to this, the only option (other than cable) may be to subscribe to DirecTV Stream to watch them on MASN.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Mysti731-

MLB.TV really isn't very well suited for watching your local team.

Local broadcast rights for major league baseball teams are owned by various services.  The MLB.TV app only has the rights for out-of-market games that are not available to you on any local resource.  Similar situations exist for other sports as well.

Mid Atlantic Sports Network (MASN) has the broadcast rights for Nationals games viewed within the Nationals' claimed home area.  If you're in their claimed area, any Nationals home or away game that is on MASN must be watched via MASN.  Since MASN is not available over the air, it means you'll need a subscription to a service that carries MASN, which for you basically means cable, satellite, or one of these streaming services:

• DIRECTV STREAM.
  • Fubo.
  • Hulu + Live TV.
  • Sling TV.
  • YouTube TV.

Nationals games carried nationally by other services like YouTube, Disney, NBC, etc, that are not carried by MASN will have to be watched on those services, which may be available from the same sources that carry MASN.

This all works great for someone NOT living in the team's claimed local area.   I am a Pirate fan living in an area claimed only by the Braves.  I can get all the Pirate games carried by MLB.TV except when they play the Braves, whose local rights are purchased by Bally Sports.  I have to find a way to view Braves local and national broadcasts on some other service that carries Bally Sports.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Royvb
Reel Rookie

You describe my situation - a Yankee fan living in SW  Florida.  For months/years MLB has been able to broadcast Yankee games to me here.  I know if I was in NY, it would not.  Through Sunday, it did. On Tuesday and for all remaining games, MLB TT seems to think I am located in New york.  My internet signal is generated here in Ft Myers and cannot be saying that I'm in a blackout area.  Something changed on Tuesday.  What changed,....and how do I get it corrected? 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.