Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: HBO Max app has no sound

Jump to solution

WORKSS NOW THANKS !!

0 Kudos
Lefilip

Jump to solution

May 2021 and this issue still is present in the hbo max roku app. Thanks for helping me fix it!!!

0 Kudos
rdull1971

Jump to solution

I had the same issue with my Roku Ultra that received the 10.0 firmware update. Using Roku with my Pioneer SC 89.  The auto dect doesn't work or any setting that has Dolby Digital Plus.  Only volume setting that works is PCM, basic Dolby Digital/DTS. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@rdull1971 wrote:

I had the same issue with my Roku Ultra that received the 10.0 firmware update. Using Roku with my Pioneer SC 89.  The auto dect doesn't work or any setting that has Dolby Digital Plus.  Only volume setting that works is PCM, basic Dolby Digital/DTS. 

Which Ultra model #/firmware version+build do you have?  (Settings/System/About)

Be aware that if you have a non-4800/4640 and change Settings/Audio/HDMI or Settings/Audio/Audio mode to anything other than a DD+ setting, you will lose 5.1 output in NetFlix, Prime, Hulu, Disney+ and many other apps.

(This isnt an issue with the 4640/4800 that have Dolby decoders - setting it to a DD setting will transcode the DD+ to DD from those apps that only use DD+).

0 Kudos
JillianSt

Jump to solution

In 2021, this is *still* an issue. My aging Samsung projection TV still has a terrific picture but having the volume at 100 (only for HBO Max) was not doing the trick.  As you also experienced, this was the only one of several streaming apps with this issue.

It is beyond my comprehension that this hasn't been resolved by Roku or HBO Max after all this time. Regardless, thanks so much for your fix! 

0 Kudos
heyvern

Jump to solution

Another option for Roku is to just change the "Volume Mode". That's the "asterisk" or star button on the roku remote for setting audio to "night mode" or "leveling". I found that all I needed was to just "bump" this option to a new setting and then back again and it kind of forces the audio back on. I think that is what changing the audio mode in settings is doing. It kind of just gives the audio a nudge from whatever made it get stuck.

0 Kudos
MisterBill

Jump to solution

Same issue with Dolby set. I had changed to Auto Detect and that worked for me. 

0 Kudos
endaugust

Jump to solution

The mode "off" was the solution for me.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
schnizz

Jump to solution

As someone posted, switching to "stereo" in roku settings brings sound to movies on hbo max app, if they weren't getting sound before.

Curiously, some shows play fine on hbo max with sound in roku settings set to "dts auto", while others have no sound unless "stereo is selected.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Waaaaooo!!! Thank you for this guidance! After 1 year of no sound on HBO max and Starz and watching on the computer, the problem is solved. A million thanks! 🌟🌟🙌🏽🌟🌟

0 Kudos