Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BritAbroad

Re: HBO Max app has no sound

Jump to solution

I had nothing but an awful crackling/static sound. This tip worked perfectly! Thank you so much 🙏🏼☺️

0 Kudos
Boblawblaw

Jump to solution

Genius!!! I had been having strange audio issues that made the sound almost like if your ears were popping if that makes any sense. But this was the fix! Can finally enjoy the app without feeling like something was wrong with my ears. Can't thank you enough.

0 Kudos
katiemck

Jump to solution

Changing to stereo did not work for me.
I found this on Roku’s site and it did work...

• First, make sure your software is up to date by pressing the Home button on your Roku remote, then go to Settings > System > System Update > Check now.

(I have a tv with Roku installed)

0 Kudos
courtneyg

Jump to solution

Thank you!! I was going insane!!!!

0 Kudos
Rokruella

Jump to solution

Yes!!!! That finally worked!!!

0 Kudos
smvogt

Jump to solution

I have had the same issue, and did what the other user said. I switched the sound to stereo from within the Roku Home Screen settings. It did not work for me until I also went into settings by pressing * while in the show. I went down to the “volume mode”option. It was somehow set to “off”. I selected a different option and the sound came on right away. Hopefully this helps someone else out there. 

0 Kudos
Phils_tcltv
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I don’t see HDMI option in my audio settings menu, perhaps since my tv is not connected to any device. 

0 Kudos
mferring1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My HBO max seems to have surround sound for many of the shows, but not all of them. Going to Stereo vs Auto did work. However, I have a very nice surround sound system and using this solution basically negates this ability to have surround sound, which is not what I wanted.

Then I saw smvogt's solution and it was pure genius. I did not know there was any options using the * key while you were playing a show. So I changed it from off to leveling and presto, surround sound came back. Amazing! This was using a several year old Roku Ultra. Also it was plugged in using HDMI to a new Yamaha TSR-700 receiver. All shows now work.

I have another newer Roku ultra that does not have this sound issue. But my guess that is because I am using a very old Denon surround receiver with no HDMI inputs. Therefore, I run optical sound out of my TV directly to my stereo. I have not had any HBO max issues with that.

My next step was going to be to use the same direct audio to my Yamaha receiver instead of HDMI. But I was reluctant to go this route as it kind of negates getting the new receiver in the first place. My guess is that somehow the codecs used by HBOmax have some sort of HDMI ARC issue with my receiver. Funny, but the old HBO app did not have this issue.

Anyhoo, was really glad that smvogt's solution worked. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
fl47

Jump to solution

Thank you. Changing to PCM worked for me.

0 Kudos
dangit1

Jump to solution

This did not work; not the PCM-Stereo and unable to turn volume on by pressing * during the program. Nothing happens. 

0 Kudos