Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
midndh
Reel Rookie

How to fix Roku device that keeps switching to Netflix channel (button ISN'T stuck)

Jump to solution

I have a Sharp Roku TV and it keeps dropping whatever I'm watching and switching to the Netflix login screen every 5 minutes or so. I'll be watching a movie on Amazon Prime or HBO and the screen will just go black, and switch over to Netflix. I went to the main menu and checked for the most recent software update, and it's up-to-date, so I'm not sure how else I can fix this. Please help. Thanks!

4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: How to fix Roku device that keeps switching to Netflix channel (button ISN'T stuck)

Jump to solution

@ddbllr 

Thanks for the post.

This would appear to be a remote issue. Please contact your TV's manufacturer directly to report this issue and request additional support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS. 

If you need a replacement remote for a Roku TV, you would need to contact your TV manufacturer. You can contact TCL here: https://support.tclusa.com/televisions or at 1-877-300-8837.

You can also purchase a remote that is compatible with your Roku TV here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
ImaginaryAce
Reel Rookie

Re: How to fix Roku device that keeps switching to Netflix channel (button ISN'T stuck)

Jump to solution

For my specific issue I finally have an answer.  My son is pushing the "cast" button on his Ipad.  It had nothing to do with the Roku, remote or TV and everything to do with casting.  My son has low vision and hits the wrong icon when trying to perform a search.

0 Kudos
Dholland227
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I solved this problem. It’s not the Netflix button. It switches even with the batteries removed. I have tried all sorts of things to get it to stop. It seems to be caused by a strange condition the Roku gets into. 

SOLVED: In settings find where you do a “Factory Reset”. Do the reset which erases all the channels and sets it back like it was a new box. Then add the channels you want and log back in to each channel. I did this three weeks ago and haven’t had any problems since. I think this may be the only solution. Something was corrupted and this is how you get rid of that corruption.

SubduedSum

Re: Re: How to fix Roku device that keeps switching to Netflix channel (button ISN'T stuck)

Jump to solution

I have a Phillips Roku TV and I have the small Roku remote that came with it. Everything has been fine with it for over a year but recently anytime I’m watching TV on different apps like YouTube, Amazon Prime, HBO Max, Hulu, etc it switches to Netflix. I switch it back but there again it goes again to Netflix on its own. It does this randomly but does it every time I’m watching TV. My Netflix button on the remote isn’t jammed, no one in my family is changing it to Netflix from the Roku app. So I was lost and upset since watching TV would probably be a bad experience for me every time.  But hold on I think I found the solution. Go to “Settings”, “Advanced system settings”, “Device Connect”, “Disable ‘Device Conect’” for some reason after I did this the whole Netflix ordeal hasn’t happened to me. Try at your own risk. Best of luck. 

50 REPLIES 50
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Keeps Switching to Netflix Channel

Jump to solution

Someone or something is hitting the NETFLIX button on the remote, or it thinks it's getting that remote code.

0 Kudos
midndh
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

We no longer have a Netflix remote. After our dog ate it and our TV became a giant brick without it, we called Customer Support and was told it was a Sharp TV, so we had to contact Sharp, who told us they don’t make Roku remotes and we had the contact Roku. Bought 2 new Roku remotes, neither of which worked with our TV, so we threw them out. We use the Roku app on our iPhones. Doesn’t matter whether our phones are on or off, if the app is open or not. We’ve used the app as our remote for almost 2 years now without a problem and this issue just started in the last 3 weeks.

0 Kudos
GravityGM

Jump to solution

I have an insignia Roku tv and I just started having this problem today and it’s super weird. I’ll just be on YouTube and it just switched to Netflix and I know that no one is touching my remote cause I have it next to me. 

0 Kudos
kjot

Jump to solution

I have a TCL Roku TV and this is happening regularly to me. Really annoying.

If it is happening on Sharp, Insignia, and TCL TVs then the only common denominator is the Roku operating system. It is clearly a Roku issue!

Jump to solution

There is something wrong - i am watching prime and it keeps switching back to netflix and my son gets logged out from Netflix on the Ipad whenever this happens. Very annoying - it happens often. This seems to be a bug Roku needs to fix it. 

dclat

Jump to solution

It is happening to me also. Did you find a solution? 

0 Kudos
Love35

Jump to solution

My TCL Roku keep switching to HBO this is ridiculous! TV only a year old to be having issues. I need some answers now! I would not be purchasing another TCL tv wouldn't be recommended to family members or friends. 

0 Kudos
ImaginaryAce
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

We are having the same issue.  Roku Ultra just randomly opens netflix.  No one is touching the remote.  Looks like the issue has been around for a while with no answer.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@ImaginaryAce 

Thanks for the post.

Does your remote have a Netflix shortcut button on it? If so, have you made sure that the button isn't stuck somehow or lodged? 

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos