Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yalda_Bahuth
Channel Surfer

Re: Home Screen Ads Too Scary For Kids

@Ello2022 You are right and I as a parent I try my best to shield my children from the nasty stuff that’s out there and that’s all I’m trying to do here.

This thread is specific to customers, like myself, that don’t like a specific feature on the product we purchased and are requesting the Roku support team to look into a parental control feature for the advertisements.  I know that it’s no different than commercial ads on live tv so chances are slim to none they will entertain the request but you never know.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Yalda_Bahuth  Commercials are currently not rated by Neilsen like shows and movie. So there is no way to differentiate between kid friendly or adult commercials or ads

0 Kudos
phases
Channel Surfer

Berating people for caring what is put in front of their kids by the Roku homescreen is ridiculous. Yes, the world is scary. Yes, there comes a time kids need to start to grow up and learn about these scary things, but when that is varies and is up to the parents. 

Just because people don't want ads for adult horror movies displayed to their kids when they are trying to watch blue's clues doesn't warrant these BS "oh i guess you're going to shield them from wars and halloween and the rest of the big scary world, I guess you homeschool them and your kids need to grow tf up" kind of responses. 

Get a grip. It's not much different than a kid playing a educational math or blocks or colors game on android/iphone and having ads pop up halfway though with halfway naked women or scary games or any of that - there is NOTHING WRONG with having a problem with that as a parent. 

Yes, there are things in this world we cannot control, but there are some we can, and as parents, do. And this could easily be solved one way or another. There could be kids profiles that limit content to children rated things, and those profiles be excluded from ads, for example. Provide a $1 a month subscription option that removes home screen ads. Put a content filter in place where ads have to be approved by Roku staff.  Stop showing ads and make your profit of device purchases. Filter ads based on where they go if you click them. This is not an impossibility.

You are not being helpful by just telling people they're parenting wrong. 

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@phases  Applying an ad or commercial filter would only work if ads or commercials had a Neilsen rating such as G, PG or R. As of right now there is no rating for commercials or ads. So it’s impossible to filtering anything. It’s raised 4 children. So believe you me I know. But not once did any of my children flip out or have nightmares from seeing an IT clown cartoon. Companies pay Roku to advertise on the Home Screen. That won’t stop. If you have a suggestion then post it at this link.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Suggest-a-Feature/bd-p/Wishlist

0 Kudos
phases
Channel Surfer

Yes you mentioned that and good for your kids. However, as shown by responses on this thread, everyone is different. My kid had trouble last year at night thanks to these ads. He doesn't now, they have stopped for me for some reason, but others here are posting that theirs are. So, you could, optionally, stop pretending like the way your specific kids react are how everyone's kids are, or should. 

Hector-Roku
Retired Moderator

Hi @Yalda_Bahuth, thanks for taking the time to send us your suggestion! We'll pass it along to the team!

0 Kudos
Chasebliss

I’m an adult and the ad for Black Phone that’s currently on my home screen is creepy as **bleep** and I don’t want to see any horror advertising EVER! There should be a way to opt out of horror ads on the home screen. I have reset and restarted the Roku and the ad comes back. Please post instructions to permanently block these types of ads. 

AnnEone
Reel Rookie

@Chasebliss that specific ad is exactly why I just did a Google search to figure out how to block the creepy roku ads. My preschoolers are watching blues clues and that freaky thing keeps popping up on the Home Screen while we navigate to the apps. WTF @Hector-Roku and others. Please fix this! 

phases
Channel Surfer

Unfortunately it has been shown roku simply does not care. I've seen the poster for that.. i assume the ad is the same, and I really hope it doesn't appear for our kid. 

tjkrings
Channel Surfer

@Hector-Roku - both of my kids were in tears last night from the Black Phone ad on the home screen. This is getting to be a huge issue with a very simple resolution. Can you please prioritize a Kids Mode with the product team?