Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thomas_Honeycut
Reel Rookie

Has Crunchyroll changed??

My daughter is coming to stay with me for awhile. Her room has a TV but no ROKU. So I purchased a Roku Ultra, so I now have 3. After getting it set up I started testing it and when I tested Crunchyroll, it just didn't look the same as the one I have been watching for years.  There were COMMERCIALS and PROMPTS for me to pay for watching without commercials?!  So i went to my bedroom and checked and there was the SAME Crunchyroll WITH COMMERCIALS?!  I then checked the living room TV and THE SAME THING!  For the next WEEK I am chatting with ROKU.com support; this is a transcript: "Thomas Thomas: I have tried and tried to explain my ROKU problems with Crunchy roll. I explained that I am old and handicapped, that my computer and my 3ROKUS and TVs are in seperate rooms Here is a photo of my plight. Cris: Good afternoon. Thank you for contacting Roku Support! My name is Cris from the Account and Billing Team. Thomas uploaded: 20220706_022709.jpg. Thomas: Hi Chis, Are yo able to view my previous msgs? Cris: I just wanted to clarify that you cannot access your channel correctly. Thomas: Yes. Cris: Sorry to hear about the trouble. I’m here to help you out, Thomas, about the channel not working. Cris: Could you please apply the steps below to the TV where you wanted to change the channel? Can you please record the channel from your TV? No, we need to work on one device only. I mean is remove. Thomas: there is no remove channel. NOW THIS GOES ON FOR DAYS AND DAYS. I am 76 and handicapped and going from room to room over and over. After a week of chats and 3 different service technicians, I finally gave up and cancelled Crunchyroll. AND I now receive a msg from ROKU saying that my subscription is over on July 17 and I can watch it until then!! Ha ha! This is truly maddening. 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Has Crunchyroll changed??

@Thomas_Honeycut wrote:

My daughter is coming to stay with me for awhile. Her room has a TV but no ROKU. So I purchased a Roku Ultra, so I now have 3. After getting it set up I started testing it and when I tested Crunchyroll, it just didn't look the same as the one I have been watching for years.  There were COMMERCIALS and PROMPTS for me to pay for watching without commercials?! 

Yes, apparently Crunchroll has changed its policies re its ad-supported subscription tier.  See this article from Cheatsheet.com:
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/crunchyroll-require-premium-subscription-seasonal-simulcast...

@Thomas_Honeycut wrote:

I finally gave up and cancelled Crunchyroll. AND I now receive a msg from ROKU saying that my subscription is over on July 17 and I can watch it until then!! Ha ha! This is truly maddening. 

Streaming subscriptions are pre-paid, that is you pay for a subscription period at the beginning of the subscription period.  When you cancel, this keeps the subscription from auto-renewing at the end of the period, but your channel access continues for the remaining balance of the period you have already paid for.   So Roku is merely reminding you of how much longer you have access.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

I don’t know anything about that channel, but I would make sure that the TV(s) with the ads is/are logged into the same Roku account that is (until July 17th) paying for the channel. If they aren’t, then I would assume the channel would act exactly the same both before and after July 17th.

0 Kudos
Thomas_Honeycut
Reel Rookie

First off, Thank you for your info, truly.  The problem actually being that when logging into Crunchyroll NOW I am getting a subscription prompt. There was NO continue until July 17; it was pay $7.99 NOW if you want to watch! Also, this didn't happen before I added a 3rd Roku Ultra, it was during! I was watching CR normally every day with 2 Rokus. Paying ROKU.com $8 and change every month for 10+ years.  Understand, I was oblivious to these facts, ROKU service was oblivious and was absolutely NO help, and because these facts I couldn't figure out how to explain it to Crunchyroll!?  Thanks again. I now have a monthly subscription, but I was stressing big time during this whole ordeal.

0 Kudos
Thomas_Honeycut
Reel Rookie

BTW: I did get a refund of a CR ($8+) so all is good finally!  Except me; I definitely need a V.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.