Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edroksense
Roku Guru

Re: Forced to see "Continue Watching" on the top of my home screen

Jump to solution

@Hov 

The tiles " Continue Watching " is a shortcut that appears in Roku TV but not on Roku Channel app for choices to make. To remove this go to Home-homescreen-shortcuts-remove shortcuts using Roku TV remote. 

0 Kudos
EmpireZ
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Weird, too, Righteous Gemstones cannot be removed from Continue Watching. Even says 0 minutes left, watched through the credits. Using the remove from continue watching option does nothing. It doesn't appear in the Roku app (which is how I removed other content). Buggy. 

AK2OH
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Does not give the option to remove shortcuts.

only has two checkbox options:

Add Channel

Sleep Timer

both are unchecked and off.  Continue watching still appears on Home Screen

continue Watching is not a shortcut.  Shortcuts show in their own line of icons titled “Shortcuts” and continue watching shows as its own line titled “continue watching”

Gotothebeach
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Roku implemented this for third party apps to gather information on what is watched to bring users back to the third party app.  Google "continue watching Roku developers".  To get rid of it, I did the following and it worked:

1.  Press * for Options on each show in continue watching and select hide or remove (don't recall word used).

2.  Press * for Options on the Add Channels and Sleep Timer icons on Home Screen and remove. This removes all shortcuts on Home Screen, which Continue Watching fell under.

3.  Go into Settings-Home screen and hide What to Watch, Featured Free and Shortcuts.

4.  I also removed the Roku channel icon, pressed * for Options on the ad to right of Home Screen and selected hide, reset advertising identifier under Settings-Privacy-Advertising and deselected Personalized Ads and Smart TV Experience, and went to each third party app home page to login and deselect sharing of information with third parties.  Not sure all of this was necessary, but Roku obligates the the third parties to obtain a user's consent to show the Continue Watching on Roku.

ckojam
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Roku rep's responses "its embedded in the system" and similar are terribly insulting. Even a 6 year old knows that this is an easy fix. Someone wrote that it can be hidden in settings. That is incorrect, it cannot be hidden or removed. I tried every single thing. Finishing shows until the very end, removing them one by one, updating, restarting... nothing. Three "recently watched" shows are always there. No. Matter. What.

CatherineP

Jump to solution

Title 16. Chapter I. Subchapter C. Part 312.5 (b) (1) of COPPA states that “an operator MUST make reasonable efforts to obtain verifiable parental consent, taking into consideration available technology. Any method to obtain verifiable parental consent must be reasonably calculated, in light of available technology, to ensure that the person providing consent is the child's parent.”

Roku’s system changes without an option to remove recently watched section goes directly against COPPA and similar federal, state and local laws. 

What Roku representative is stating in the response above is: "Hide Roku remotes from your kids because we don't care about them and we make mature content readily accessible.” I created an account on this forum to voice my concern. However, if the option to remove recently watched programs is not included in future updates, I will submit an official FTC complaint and encourage others to do so.  As previously stated in another post there is no “clear all” available. Like others, I tried removing recently watched one by one but not all of them can be removed. Roku, in its responses or lack thereof is clearly refusing to cooperate.

nadronet
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Since ROKU doesn't apparently give a **bleep** about its customers, what are some good replacement options? Amazon Fire is my first thought. Other suggestions? 

Paleogirl2003
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Roku community support, there are SEVERAL threads with MANY angry people about this "feature", can you please escalate this to the actual support team?

It should not be shown if disabled in the settings menu, end of story. It's a bug, fix it already. 

0 Kudos
AK2OH
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

There are a few.  Apple TV, Amazon has a Fire Cube.  my sister has been solely fire and Apple TV for years.  They left Roku a long time ago and haven’t looked back.

google has chrome cast haven’t used it in years so I don’t know what the new one is like.

NVIDIA has a streaming device now.  I’ve always like NVIDIA and MAC products.  I like Apple TV and plan on trying the NVIDIA platform.

Townsned

Jump to solution

If you got to settings and go down to home screen

you can hide the show recommendations and it will take away the continue watching bar 

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.