Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iona-D
Roku Guru

End Of An Era; Netflix Leaving Behind It's DVDs For Streaming Forever

"........Netflix will send out its last red envelope on Friday, marking an end to 25 years of mailing DVDs to members........"-https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/09/28/tech/netflix-dvd-rental-movies-ending/index....

Well, it's now official.  One of the last vertiges of the DVD era is now officially over.  It seems like most everyone already moved on. 

I for one am still a bit saddened of this.  I still like the way one can collect a movie, 🎥 📺 television show, or most  anything else with great content that you can actually hold in one's hands or displayed with pride on a shelf.  Plus you know they are always yours and no one can take the little discs away unless you send them on their way (or someone steals them).

That is the only major con that seems to be in the present day Streaming Era.  I (and many others I'm sure) recently lost access to Star Trek Prodigy on it's originating streaming platform.  Now if you presently want continued access, you have to buy a physical DVD/Blu-ray discs to see it.  Unless another platform decides to pick the series up again.  Too much depended on someone else's whims.  I hate that.

So I don't think this new era is all it's cracked up to be for serious viewers and collectors.  Or at least a garentee access without a suit's whims getting in the way of your choices.

Just saying.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.