Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marynmd
Reel Rookie

Content on the Roku Channel Will Not Play

I have been having the same problem and I( find roku's lack of response irritating. They try to shift the blame back onto you. I had one email saying to provide them with certain information which I did but then they never got back to me anyway. I suppose since I pay no monthly fee that they really do not care if things work properly or not.

280 REPLIES 280
DoofyMusic
Channel Surfer

Re: Content on the Roku Channel Will Not Play

Apparently, I'm not alone here. I'm on a TCL TV, which is relatively new. Purchased within the last year.

The problem with the Roku TV app started about a week ago.  Shows that aren't live go right back to the description screen. They simply won't load. "Live TV," on the other hand, will perpetually load and just get stuck at a black screen.

There have been no changes in my email, ISP, and also no VPN use. The only app affected is the Roku App. All other apps apear to work when tested.

I've read through a few forums an "Roku support staff" (official or otherwise) appear to be as useless as any Microsoft support forum. Nobody will admit to a problem; they just keep collecting people's device specs for whatever reason.

For the longest time, I have been a proponent of Roku and TCL, but that has changed in the last week. If Roku can't even admit to the problem after numerous months and numerous complaints, I'm simply not recommending them anymore.

I've done most of the steps to try and fix things and nothing has worked. If there's a magic answer, I'm all ears but, NO, you cannot have my device specs. That info hasn't helped you since 2022, it won't help you now.

AlanAnderson
Streaming Star

Yep, not useful information from this to solve this issue.  I have 2 Roku and both work great with everything else but ROKU CHANNEL.  Going into 4 months with no resolution.  

AlanAnderson
Streaming Star

I agree, this is very frustrating and others are having the same problem and are getting the same runaround.  Seems we are of low priority and they hope we just go away.  If they had REAL tech support they'd call one of us and get to the bottom of this. 

funkystay
Channel Surfer

Hopefully some prominent technology website or company will catch wind of this and report it on a wider venue. Nothing works better than bad publicity.

funkystay
Channel Surfer

For giggles I disconnected my Roku from my home cable service and setup a hotspot on my Pixel phone using Google Fi and connected wirelessly to the phone. The channels all began to work again! I bet this has something to do with users who are behind a CGNAT (Carrier Grade NAT) as I am. This would also explain why some devices are working for some users and others aren't. 

GarnerF

Re: therokuchannel.roku.com videos don't play

My Roku devices will not load a movie.  It shows the title screen but when I hit "play" it returns to the title screen as if nothing happened.

hawkeye18
Reel Rookie

Re: therokuchannel.roku.com videos don't play

Mine are not working either. The Roku channel is the only thing NOT working through my Roku TV and from my other TV using a Roku Express. I have been on chat and done ALL of the things suggested: Restarting the system, uninstalling and reinstalling the channel. Turned off my router and ALL power to the TV. Although I am not an expert, this is telling me it is something on the Roku end. 

darsman

Re: Roku Channel does not play ANYTHING

this has been going on for over a week bow. a lut of people are having trouble with this issue so what needs to be done. do i need a new roku or is problem on your end?

Isola_60185
Reel Rookie

I posted earlier about this. I hope ROKU has noticed that multiple customers said the channel does play when disconnecting from home internet WIFI (i.e., using their phone/HotSpot). I proved this out on my own phone.  Trying to play offering on Roku channel gives a Retry message. Turning off Wifi, and it plays just fine.