Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tdawgdad
Binge Watcher

Block certain commercials

Is there a way to block or filter commercials/ads? I have kids and I would rather not see the FitBit commercial that has a dude dressed like a girl dancing on a stripper pole and then have to explain what's going on in that commercial to my kids.

71 REPLIES 71
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Block certain commercials

@Tdawgdad 

There used to be a time where you could probably contact the advertiser and voice your concerns.  As you are probably aware, this would now be a futile exercise.

Just explain to your kids, "This is what happens if you wear a FitBit - no FitBits allowed".

Then turn on a Rocky movie and show them the proper way to train.

------

Unfortunately, there is no way to currently filter ads.  You can maybe try disabling "Limit Ad Tracking" if currently enabled (maybe worth a shot, but probably won't change anything.).

[Settings/Privacy/Advertising/Limit Ad Tracking ]

-----

For what its worth, I have never seen this ad on Roku, but I have on Youtube.  I have the Ad Tracking disabled.  Could just be coincidence though.  Wish I could offer you better advice.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Tdawgdad  Exactly what channel are you watching when you see this? PlutoTV? Tubi? Hulu? The Roku channel? 

0 Kudos
Tdawgdad
Binge Watcher

Roku channel

Tdawgdad
Binge Watcher

Oh yeah we watched bloodsport for good measure

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Tdawgdad  So wait a minute here. You watched a violent rated R movie with your children but your upset over a Fitbit commercial? Commercials will be geared towards the content you are watching. If you were watching a G rated movie you would get G rated commercials. FYI……..Bloodsport is not available on the Roku Channel. 
E51DE76C-B1BE-40FE-9B65-0AAF9B46A18A.jpeg

28821CDC-22C3-40DF-B40C-072705E9F4A0.jpeg

Wldrnss77
Binge Watcher

Totally inappropriate commercial on Toku channel with stripper pole scene! How to block or change ad choices?

Tdawgdad
Binge Watcher

It was a joke in response to someone else. I was watching the universe and I'm pretty sure it's not geared towards what you're (not your)  watching. Thanks for your very enlightening lefty-progressive-sensitive Sally nobody cares solution

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Tdawgdad  You asked for help. If you want help then be truthful. Roku cannot control the commercials you see. Nor is there a filter. Just like cable tv or satellite. No difference. FYI……The Universe is rated TV-14 so the commercial you saw is age appropriate for the content you were watching. 

Tdawgdad
Binge Watcher

Once again thanks for your ever- enlightening solution. Let me know when they start letting 14 year olds in strip clubs. 

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.