Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bossman65
Level 7

local channels

Jump to solution

how can i get local channels abc,cbs,nbc,fox without getting an antenna on roku??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: local channels

Jump to solution

By subscribing to Hulu Plus Live TV, YouTube TV, or any of several other services that carry local channels.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
makaiguy
Level 21

Jump to solution

By subscribing to Hulu Plus Live TV, YouTube TV, or any of several other services that carry local channels.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
SweetTasha
Level 8

Jump to solution

I can find only the pay-for Hulu. Is there a free Hulu channel? At this point, I don't want Hulu for anything but the local channels. You refer to " any of the other services that carry local channels." Are they most likely all pay-for services?

TIA for you help.
SweetTasha.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

No, there is no free Hulu channel. All of the above mentioned ways to access local TV stations require a subscription. There is one free option, but isn't available in all locations. Check out Locast.org and see if they offer local TV for your location. They offer every single OTA channel available in the locations they cover. 

While Locast can be used for free, they do suggest a monthly donation to keep things going. I'd say $5-10 per month for every local channel is a pretty good deal. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
SweetTasha
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply. I agree $5-10 would be a bargain for local stations, but Locast isn't available in my area. I'm a bit surprised, because the Columbus, OH has the largest population, 800,000, twice the population of Cleveland, and it's the 14th largest city in the USA. When I went to Locast.org, it didn't ask for my location but it did ask if I would share my GPS location and I did. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

Yeah, if you let it determine your location it doesn't ask for it. If you close your browser and then go back to the Locast site, you can enter your location manually. But since they don't cover your metro area, there's not much sense in doing it. I found their page that indicates how far you can be from each area and still receive the service, and it doesn't appear that anywhere in OH is permitted.

It does seem odd that there's nothing at all in OH, but then I'm sure it's rather involved for them to add a new area. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.