Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

hbo max

I was getting HBO go free with my AT&T  subscription , now they changed it to HBO max for free ,why should I have to pay for it on hulu  when its free, so is there a way to sign on with my Derictv 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: hbo max

I’m going to hope Roku stops creating issues with that app, because that issue is probably a scam.

~Jordan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

It’s ridiculous. Apparently the hold up is Roku wants more revenue from advertising and Peacock and HBO Max are holding out. It’s always about money. In the meantime they’re holding customers hostage during a pandemic when we’re all stuck at home and losing our minds. I know this is a first world problem, but it’s just another “greed is more important than anything” issue that makes businesses look bad. 

Roku needs to do the right thing and make a deal and be done with it. Losing a little money now will result in happy customers as well as new customers and be better for them in the long run. Too bad their marketing people cannot see past their narrow noses. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

@dt3 wrote:

I was getting HBO go free with my AT&T  subscription , now they changed it to HBO max for free ,why should I have to pay for it on hulu  when its free, so is there a way to sign on with my Derictv 

Try signing in to the new HBO app using your HBO Max user name and password

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@dt3  I also get HBO free with my AT&T plan. How I got it to work on my Roku was first I had to upgrade to HBO Max through my AT&T account, and then I added the app to my phone. I went into the HBO Max app settings, went to Account, and clicked “add password” and added a password.

After that I downloaded the new HBO app on the Roku (it used to be HBO Now, but now it just says HBO), and signed in using my email and the password in had just created in the HBO Max account. It let me sign into the HBO app on the Roku. It obviously doesn’t have the full HBO Max content, but at least I can watch HBO shows/movies on the TV and not just my on dinky phone without paying extra for something I already have for free. 🤷🏼‍♀️ 

Hopefully that helps for now, until Roku gets the HBO Max app. 🤞 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

For me, signing in wasn't the problem, and I wanted HBO Max for all of the added programming that isn't on HBO, like Looney Tunes classics and the catalog of movies that regular HBO doesn't offer and that Netflix has deleted from their catalog.

So far the only workaround I could get was to disconnect the HDMI cable from Roku box, plug it into an Apple HDMI-Lightning adapter ($14.99 on Amazon) and then play it on my iPhone through the TV's HDMI port. Not pretty, but it works, although that means my phone is out of commission for anything else while I'm watching.

The fact that Roku and HBO Max can't come to an agreement solely out of mutual greed is what angers me. Both of them need to realize that if they compromise their advertising revenue a little bit now, it will end up being a huge profit for them later because more happy customers will sign up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1

Is there any cost associated with upgrading your AT&T U-Verse account to HBO Max?

Every other App I've installed on my Roku has let me get access to my shows by, while setting up the Apps on my RokuTV, sending me to the website for the Service I'm paying AT&T for. Last time I tried, I was unsuccessful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

JamezK, there was no extra cost for me, but I use the WatchTV service that came free with my phone plan. I chose the HBO As my free premium service when I signed up with my plan 2 years ago. When I went to my AT&T account to manage my WatchTV subscription, it then asked me if I wanted to upgrade from HBO to HBO Max at no extra cost. Hopefully someone with U-Verse can chime in. But, I did make the change through AT&T then downloaded the new app.

I switched to Philo from AT&T Now back in January, and used the HBO Go app since then for the HBO on Roku, since WatchTV won’t cast. I use Locast for live local tv. 

0 Kudos