Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DawnofSin
Level 8

Youtube App not working on 11/11

Jump to solution

My grandmother's ROKU EXPRESS she uses, in her bedroom for watching YouTube isn't working. The last time she had it working was last night at 10:30pm.

I have tried the following resolves;

1. Restarting the device
  2. Updating ROKU
  3. Checking for app update
  4. Removing and re-installing the app
  5. disconnecting and reconnecting wi-fi
  6. restarting the device from the settings menu

all attempts failed to resolve the issue, all the other apps are working perfectly fine ie. Prime Video, Netflix etc

The issue;

The app loads up normally, but whenever she clicks on any video, a side menu appears on the right-hand side and asks to report feedback because something went wrong, behind the screen you can see the "loading" lettering. 

Smiley Frustrated

Anyone having the same issue? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DawnofSin
Level 8

Re: Youtube App not working on Roku Express

Jump to solution

Never mind. right after I typed my post, I had an article pop up on facebook that Youtube is down.

"YouTube appeared to be having technical issues on a global scale on Wednesday night, leaving scores of users (ahem) temporarily unable to stream their rainy night blogging music.

In a tweet, YouTube confirmed that there was an issue:

“If you’re having trouble watching videos on YouTube right now, you’re not alone – our team is aware of the issue and working on a fix,” the message reads. “We’ll follow up here with any updates.”

According to the service outage assessment tool Down Detector, reports of issues with the site jumped up at around 7p.m. EST, with over 278,000 users filing complaints with the site."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
29 Replies
Yseut
Level 7

Re: YouTube won’t work

Jump to solution

Exact same problem.  I've reinstalled YouTube, rebooted my modem, rebooted the Roku, tried a different YouTube account, and nothing.  I switched from an Amazon FireTV stick because it would freeze and crash when I used it, but I'm thinking of switching back.  No Twitch, and now no YouTube?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

I think the problem is with YouTube. I just started having the same problem on my Nvidia Shield, so it doesn't appear to be Roku specific. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Yseut
Level 7

Jump to solution

At first I was all "that's not possible" but holy bananas you're right.  I wonder if it's a DDoS attack or something that's beyond my technical ability.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 21

Jump to solution
Confirmed. Doing same thing here. All looks normal til I click on a video to play, then just a black screen.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Se777en
Level 7

Jump to solution

@makaiguy wrote:
Confirmed. Doing same thing here. All looks normal til I click on a video to play, then just a black screen.

Yep. YouTube isn’t working on either my Roku or AppleTV. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

YouTube isn't even working in a web browser. So everyone stop trying to "fix" your Roku. It isn't the problem. YouTube has suffered a major outage. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Steve_K1
Level 7

Re: YouTube channel problem >> Me, too

Jump to solution

Two options: 1) Submit report, or "Back."

Seen on every Youtube video played through Roku.

Don't think it's Roku as other channels (stations?) play fine.

Ughhh.

0 Kudos
Askooopo
Level 7

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

YouTube isn't even working in a web browser. So everyone stop trying to "fix" your Roku. It isn't the problem. YouTube has suffered a major outage. 

Exactly. A lot of people blindly give “reinstall everything” advice. First check if it’s working on your phone or unrelated device. Takes less time as a initial step. 

0 Kudos
JohnDoe1
Level 7

Re: youtube and youtube.tv not loading

Jump to solution

I have a TCL Roku TV as well and my Youtube app suddenly stopped playing videos. It opens up just fine and shows me the video thumbnails (which even move) but whenever I try to play a video it just says "something went wrong" and wont load. I've tried removing it, restarting my system, and reisntalling to no avail. I also unplugged my TV and restarted my modem as some people said it helped them. If you find some solution please update. Any help Roku?

0 Kudos