Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: YouTube Network Error

Jump to solution

Good work on finding what appears to be the source of the issue. Hopefully enough people pass that along so the YouTube devs finally do something about it. Already submit my feedback to them with a link to this thread, though I half expect to get a canned "check your connection" message. That said, I'm not willing to setup a separate account or muck around with my current one to accommodate this bug on one device.

Fortunately for me my Rokus are separate devices. If it comes to it and it doesn't get fixed I might just switch to another device. Maybe something that also supports Twitch.

0 Kudos
Level 10

Jump to solution

We are still having issues with our living room roku stick . We keep getting the message that youtube is not available at this time. We have another roku stick in the bedroom and we never have an issue with it. We've tried all the alleged fixes. And NONE of the FIXES work. )-:  Fortunately our living room Tv is a LG smart Tv and the youtube on that TV works flawlessly.

0 Kudos
Level 9

Jump to solution

I'm curious @bdpopeye whether you've tried the "fix" (more of a workaround) of not logging in to any user account, but instead using the "Guest" account, on the Roku / Youtube channel.  I've been trying 2 variants of this, and for the most part I rarely see the Network Error anymore (and I used to see it all the time):

Workaround A: Roku YT channel logged in as guest, phone logged in to acct, push videos to Roku

The idea: Instead of searching on the Roku itself, searching on a phone or tablet, and "casting" (that little red tv screen icon) the movies to the Roku.  That's what I've been doing about half the time-- I have the phone logged in to the YT acct that I used to have logged in on the Roku YT channel, so at least I can access the same playlists.

I can't say I know what's causing the problem. But I can say, this strategy has worked for me-- I have yet to see a Network Error when doing this.

Workaround B: Roku YT channel logged in as guest, search manually on Roku for videos**

The idea: Without a phone-- just with the Roku and its remote-- I've been trying never using the logged-in user account, and instead just using the Guest account.  I just search manually (which is time consuming) using the Roku remote.  For me anyway, merely avoiding the login / account on the Roku YT channel caused far less of the Network Error than I used to see.

However, the user account per se is not the whole story, because last night I did for the first time see the Network Error doing Workaround B.  Interestingly, it was in the middle of playing another user's long (~70ish videos) playlist I'd searched for manually using the Roku remote.  It played for a few videos and then I saw the Network Error.  While it was the first time in weeks I'd seen it, I did see it.  To me it's interesting that, while I was using Guest, I was playing a long playlist.

What's really causing this?

I've been having great luck with avoiding the Network Error by avoiding using any user acct on the Roku YT channel.  But, that doesn't mean the user account is really the "cause" of the problem, it may be more of a risk increaser.  User @tgouws has said that the Network Error may be ultimately due to <<a memory handling issue either by Roku or the YouTube App>>.  The strategy of using different user accounts and looking at the number and/or length of playlists to steer around getting the issue, probably is working (at least for me and hopefully other people) by somehow being less likely to trigger whatever the memory management error really is.  Maybe even Workaround B would reliably produce the error if one were always playing long playlists, for instance.

All told, I don't personally know of any real fix for this problem-- but Workaround A (and to a lesser degree Workaround B) seem to be working for me to make Roku's YT channel at least usable again.  But it's possible this doesn't work for everyone.

** Adding a PS, 4/13.  I've now seen the error twice while doing Workaround B.  It's rare but it does happen.  The upshot is, Workaround A is really the good one.  Workaround B seems to be a little more reliable than being logged in to a user acct on the Roku, but is still vulnerable to the error, at least for me.

0 Kudos
Level 10

Jump to solution

We've not tried using youtube as a guest. My wife is watching something right now on youtube with no issues so far today. The issue for us seems to be intermittent. Next time it happens I'll have her give it a try. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Level 9

Jump to solution

I can recreate this error every time by scrolling quickly up and down through my subscription lists (causes a delay in updating the thumbnails) and then pausing -- not selecting and playing any video -- but simply pausing on a sub with blank thumbnails for a minute.

I get the "YouTube is unavailable. Please try again later." error every time.

This not a streaming issue. Likely some timeout relating to the thumbnails loading.

After selecting "CANCEL" I can select and play a video with no problem.

See if you can recreate the error this way as well. 

0 Kudos
Level 9

Jump to solution

@NDinVA  That's intriguing.  I'll have to try that tonight.  Is the Roku YT channel logged in to a YT/Google user acct (I assume it is b/c there are subscription lists)?  If we can come up with some 100% way to trigger the error maybe Roku/YT will raise it in priority.

0 Kudos
Level 9

Jump to solution

Yes, logged into an account.

I'm interested to see if others can reproduce.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

This exact issue is happening to me as well. Playing one song from my created playlist results in the error. Playing the song outside of the playlist results in it playing without issue.

0 Kudos
Level 9

Jump to solution

@NDinVA: I tried to reproduce what you described the past few nights, but for whatever reason it doesn't seem to produce a crash for me. I do get the gray stills and descriptions when I rapidly scroll through subscriptions while logged into a user acct... but I never do get a crash.  I'll keep trying.

I don't doubt that you're seeing this, though.  Other people have also mentioned the connection to the gray stills, and it seems likely to be connected, and caused by the same underlying problem.  Maybe exactly what can trigger it is different by device. I'm using a nearly new Roku Ultra with a wired connection.  (But it has the error about as often as my older, cheaper Roku Express used to.)  Which type of Roku do you have?  It's possible the subscription scrolling strategy does trigger it every time on certain Roku products.

0 Kudos
Level 9

Jump to solution

@siphon Thanks for trying and letting me know. I have a wired Ultra, about 1.5 years old.

The model# is 4660X2, what model is yours?

0 Kudos