Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: Workaround for HBO Max

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: HBO Max can be accessed on your ROKU

Jump to solution

Buying not just 1 but 2 ROKU TV’s biggest mistake my family ever made!! The longer we have them the more disappointed we get. The sound is terrible, they do not keep their color (have to constantly re-adjust) and now this with HBO MAX, not the first time we have had channel issues. 
Seriously thinking of investing in different models, any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

Roku stock was up and ATT  was down on rumors there's an HBO Max deal.

No longer willing to hold my breath.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

I love my TCL Roku TV.  This HBO Max thing will get worked out soon enough.  Don't just blame Roku - ATT is to blame as well.

0 Kudos
Level 13

Jump to solution

@jhoff909 wrote:

I love my TCL Roku TV.  This HBO Max thing will get worked out soon enough.  Don't just blame Roku - ATT is to blame as well.

TCL Roku TV seem to provide a lot of value.  Amazon currently has a 2020 model year TCL Roku TV that is 43" and UHD/4k for $230.

I'm also impressed with Roku supporting both Miracast and Air Play 2.  And very much agree with that AT&T is to blame.  The interviews and articles quoting John Stankey seems to show a CEO that doesn't really care about customers.

That having been said, it doesn't seem possible to stop people from deciding to blame Roku.  The situation makes people frustrated and they are grasping at how to become happy again.

So, should people still get a TCL Roku TV?  It has a HDMI port, if plugging another media streaming player makes people happy, then do it.

Xiamoi TV Stick is $38.  Getting a TCL Roku TV plus the stick comes to a total of $270 and can get you HBO Max.

Chromecast with Google TV is $49.  Getting a TCL Roku TV plus Chromecast comes to $280 and can get you HBO Max.

Fire TV Stick Lite is $18.  Getting a TCL Roku TV plus the stick comes to $250 and you can get HBO Max.

I can understand people feeling frustrated and saying they don't want to hold their breath.  If Roku by itself isn't making someone happy then do what it takes to become happy again.  A deal might be happen tomorrow or it might happen on Dec 15th or it might happen on Dec 31st or any number of other days.  It shouldn't be that big a deal to reach a point of happyness again.

I also see a big difference between someone venting they don't want to wait anymore as opposed the sock puppet account popping up to claim Roku is the "biggest mistake ... ever made."

Biggest mistake I believe is this:

AT&T/HBO decided people that had a working HBO GO should no longer have a working solution on July 31st.  Then they recommended getting another device like an Android TV or Apple TV.  If you have trouble getting their recommended device to connect to wifi and call them at 855-442-6629, they provide *NO* help and tell you to contact the manufactor of their recommended device.  If you have trouble using the cable provider that worked with HBO GO to activate HBO Max and call them at 855-442-6629, they provide *NO* help and tell you to call your cable company.

Before setting the HBO GO termination date, maybe they should have figure out how they can assist people with the recommended change of device.  Maybe they should have worked with Verizon and Comcast support to make sure there would be support to help with HBO Max activations.  Or provide the support themselves.  But to provide a toll free 855 number that is nothing more than glorified answering service that tell you to call someone else is just inexcusable.

In return for all the hoops people are made to jump through, HBO Max provides video in HD.  But HBO GO also already provided videos in HD.  HBO Max provides audio in 5.1.  But HBO GO also already provided audio in 5.1.  What in the technical specs has made this "Max" over the GO which was already working for people?

HBO "earns" it's $15 per month by creating *PROBLEMS* for their customers instead of solutions.  That is the truly "biggest mistake" I see going on here.

HBO MAX is the service that makes DEMANDS on it's customers, LACKS SUPPORT related to those demands and fails to compete on modern technical specs as well.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

Roku TV's. I'm not sure which models your family bought. I've heard that the TCL brand is pretty good. I was looking at a 55" with 4K & 240Hz refresh rate for around $599. Roku TV's are good if you find the right one. Especially with everything goin on w/ Max, a lot of places are selling Roku TV's really cheap. 

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have an Insignia 4K Roku TV. It’s been great until now. The TV is great. The issue is I get HBOMax free with AT&T mobile, so I canceled HBOMax. And I can only watch it on my iPad or laptop. 🤬

0 Kudos
Level 9

Jump to solution

@SAB1 wrote:

Buying not just 1 but 2 ROKU TV’s biggest mistake my family ever made!! The longer we have them the more disappointed we get. The sound is terrible, they do not keep their color (have to constantly re-adjust) and now this with HBO MAX, not the first time we have had channel issues. 
Seriously thinking of investing in different models, any suggestions?

Who makes the TV?  Roku doesn't they just have the interface on a lot of brands but it's not their TV.  How much did you pay for them?   There are a lot of low cost TVs these days that aren't all that great.  You get what you pay for.  I have TCL Roku 32", it's decent good enough for kitchen, got it cheap.  But nowhere near my Panasonic or LG.  Nowadays it's getting hard to find a TV without all the Smart **bleep** in it.  And sound wise any TV with the built in sound leaves a lot to be desired.  Maybe not if you spent a gazillion dollars.  Always play cable box, Roku, Blu-rays through my stereo.  As far as the Roku devices go though I have never had an issue with them.  Roku 3 and now Ultra always worked and sounded great.  I stick with the separate streaming boxes.  and HBO Max thing isn't just them it's Time Warner.  Doesn't mean much to me since I have HBO through my cable company.  But it would be nice for them to work things out.   I have a feeling it will be very soon too.  WW 1984 is coming soon.  When Peacock became available on Roku 7 million subscribers popped up.  HBO should take note of that.

Level 7

Jump to solution

I personally dumped HBO over this issue and honestly 5 months later I don't miss it a bit. But I am interested in the ongoing issue and all the workarounds here seem more complicated than they are worth. 

The easiest way to get ANY channel on your ROKU that is not in their channel store but is available on your device is to use the screen mirror function. Download the HBO Max app on your device and pair it to your ROKU and when you play it on your device it comes through your TV, including sound. 

Screen Mirroring is under "Settings" then "System" on your ROKU menu. No tricks, no games and most newer devices can do it (though not all). Also works with Windows 10 Laptops. 

0 Kudos
Level 9

Jump to solution

Wow!! This method worked like a charm!! I can't access HBomax on my roku but with this method I was able to start using the HBO app on my roku. But I also have a amazon fire stick and just like a couple of days ago HBO and amazon came to an agreement so now hbo max is available on the amazon fire stick

0 Kudos