Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: HBO Max can be accessed on your ROKU

Jump to solution

This doesn't work for most Roku TV's. Only certain manufacturers allow this.

0 Kudos
Level 9

Jump to solution

It started because Roku and Amazon used to be neutral. Now they want a cut of everything and for subscribers to premium services to subscribe through the Roku App and the Prime Video app. More revenue for them that way.

Level 8

Jump to solution

Well , I guess more opportunities for new devices not as greedy as Roku. I’m looking after other options as we speak.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

In a deep-dive report on Roku’s ascent to dominance in the streaming space, Varietyreported Thursday that the streaming platform and hardware brand is asking for 30% of ad inventory and 20% of subscription costs from third-party streaming services hoping to find a home on Roku. In other words, Roku is making Apple-level demands of its channel partners—terms HBO Max and Peacock aren’t willing to agree to, clearly. Another point of contention in the discussions appears to be support for standalone apps, as opposed to subscriptions sold through the Roku Channel.

@coolsharky wrote:

It started because Roku and Amazon used to be neutral. Now they want a cut of everything and for subscribers to premium services to subscribe through the Roku App and the Prime Video app. More revenue for them that way.

Level 7

Jump to solution

I am definitely with you on this. I am going to wait until HBO and Roku come to terms and then subscribe to Hbo Max at that time. 

0 Kudos
Level 12

Jump to solution

@ljfarfan wrote:

In a deep-dive report on Roku’s ascent to dominance in the streaming space, Varietyreported Thursday that the streaming platform and hardware brand is asking for 30% of ad inventory and 20% of subscription costs from third-party streaming services hoping to find a home on Roku. In other words, Roku is making Apple-level demands of its channel partners—terms HBO Max and Peacock aren’t willing to agree to, clearly. Another point of contention in the discussions appears to be support for standalone apps, as opposed to subscriptions sold through the Roku Channel.

@coolsharky wrote:

Apparently they were willing to pay Apple, a company not well known for compromising its revenue streams.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: HBO Max can be accessed on your ROKU on Hulu

Jump to solution

You can only get HBO content, not HBO max content, on Roku through Hulu.  One way to get the HBO max content is to put the HBO max app on a smartphone then "cast" it to your TV.  

0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

@dhlayer wrote:

You can only get HBO content, not HBO max content, on Roku through Hulu.  One way to get the HBO max content is to put the HBO max app on a smartphone then "cast" it to your TV.  

And for all the iOS users out there, Roku OS 9.4 will be adding AirPlay 2 support to most of the 4K devices, so you'll finally be able to screen-share your iPhone or iPad with a Roku. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 9

Jump to solution

Yes I know. I'm trying to get at least the HBO content.

I have the Disney Plus bundle and I have HBO Max thru AT&T. I watch HBO Max on my PS4 and sideloaded Fire Stick. But I'd like to at least get HBO running on my other TV's for the teens in the house. I don't have HBO thru Hulu so not sure how to go about this.

0 Kudos
Level 12

Jump to solution

@coolsharky wrote:

Yes I know. I'm trying to get at least the HBO content.

I have the Disney Plus bundle and I have HBO Max thru AT&T. I watch HBO Max on my PS4 and sideloaded Fire Stick. But I'd like to at least get HBO running on my other TV's for the teens in the house. I don't have HBO thru Hulu so not sure how to go about this.

On your computer go to hbomax.com and connect through AT&T. Go to your profile and put a password in. Now you can load the HBO app on your Roku's and sign in using the password. All HBO content available. You don't have HBO Max, but in my case there's not much I want that's not on regular HBO. I do need to connect the computer to the TV to check out "Raised by Wolves."

0 Kudos