Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cfkwrh
Level 9

Re: Workaround for HBO Max

Jump to solution

This is a workaround for HBO, not for HBO Max. You need to make that clear in your title because all your post accomplishes is pissing off Roku's customers more. Or did your bosses think we were all stupid? 

Wrclem
Level 8

Jump to solution

This article says it all

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4363735-roku-looks-less-attractive-in-streaming-wars-losing-neutral...

The original attractiveness of Roku was that it was a neutral platform.  Between the issues with HBO and Peacock, those days are over.  

It's not like founding out the marriage is temporary (as the previous poster suggested) it's more like marrying someone and realizing that you really married the person's grandparent. (trying to keep it gender neutral)

Bored
Level 9

Jump to solution

Had Roku still been abiding by its idea of providing a neutral OTT platform, there should have been no reason why it was not able to successfully integrate both HBO Max and Peacock on to its platform. But it's not - it's putting its profitability at the front, and its neutrality and customer satisfaction in the back.

Really well said, and why Roku is 100% to blame. I got it as a neutral platform, not a content platform. It's violated those principles. 

hepcat666
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you for this. Total lifeline while HBO figures out their s**t!

CarolAnnNYC
Level 7

Jump to solution

Brilliant! It works!  Back to HBO Go the way it used to be. I don’t really care if I don’t have the expanded content for now. I just want to be able to continue streaming HBO on the app—thanks for coming up with this simple fix. 

0 Kudos
JamieSawyer
Level 7

Jump to solution

I basically have the same setup as you with the PlayOn Server, I Do pay for my premium services but I download the **bleep** out of some stuff. Their downloads are mp4's and 720p - For the tiny amount of money you spend, you get tons of benefits!

0 Kudos
DrewNJ
Level 9

Jump to solution

@cfkwrh wrote:

This is a workaround for HBO, not for HBO Max. You need to make that clear in your title because all your post accomplishes is pissing off Roku's customers more. Or did your bosses think we were all stupid? 

1) I don’t work for Roku, never have, though I have worked in tech.

2) I’m retired.

3) Yes it’s a workaround to keep Hbo function, not Max.

4) Sorry you’re so frustrated that you need to take this out on me.

Mooj
Level 7

Jump to solution

The best workaround is to add HBO Max to your Hulu account as an add on. Then it becomes available thru the Hulu app.

0 Kudos
Bliff
Level 7

Re: Workaround for HBO

Jump to solution

With the HBO GO app now completely dead, thank you for posting this workaround to keep accessing at least some HBO stuff. It works and is keeping my Roku from being a paperweight, existing merely to hold my HDMI cord as it goes into my laptop.

Beeseepee
Level 8

Jump to solution

@Mooj wrote:

The best workaround is to add HBO Max to your Hulu account as an add on. Then it becomes available thru the Hulu app.

No. No, the Hbo Max app does not appear. You need the Hbo Max app to get ALL the programming from, wait for it, Hbo Max. I've had Hulu Live with Hbo Max added for about 8 weeks. Yeah, you'll see HBO stuff, but not the complete gamut of Max programming. The Play On suggestion I posted is effective.