Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

My HBO GO app disappeared today. I see that I still get all the same HBO GO content available on ROKU through my AT&T TV app only it’s well organized rather than that mess on MAX. Yes, I can’t watch “Friends,” but I will live without that rather than enable the AT&T and Comcast predatory practices and will stick with ROKU until MAX is available. ROKU is still the best interface and they are TV geeks who put a premium on viewer experience. Google, Amazon and Apple only see their streaming boxes as an accessory to their other more lucrative businesses.

Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

@helloisme wrote:

@bknabe wrote:

@Cat2040 wrote:

Its not Roku but Warner.  The greed factor is driving warners decision not to sign with Roku, Fire TV and similar services .  More and more of us have turned off cable and moved to the streaming platforms.   Comcast is Warner.  Not recommending services like Roku just plays into their plan to bring us all back to high priced cable TV.  

As I've said before, it's a battle for control. Warner (ATT) and Comcast (NBC/Universal) are not happy that they don't control streaming and are working hard to fix that. They've already demonized Roku and Firestick to many people.

Yep. This thread and forums are somehow full of folks sticking up for ATT and Comcast! I've never seen that before. These companies want to control all streaming between your eye balls and their own productions. They are absolutely gargantuan companies with incredible investments in their content acquisitions. Of course they are going to try to squeeze the most out of it. If Roku does not play by their rules, they are hinging their bets that they can just wait it out if Roku does not want to lose market. They already control everything from production up to the box being that they are nearly completely vertically integrated (seeing as they are also ISPs as well), and no doubt would prefer to control the box and anything it does as well

I used to blog on Internet security and privacy. Comcast and Warner were absolute nightmares, and on top of that had a habit of throttling anything that might be used to damage their profits, like BitTorrent and Netflix.

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@helloisme wrote:

@bknabe wrote:

@Cat2040 wrote:

Its not Roku but Warner.  The greed factor is driving warners decision not to sign with Roku, Fire TV and similar services .  More and more of us have turned off cable and moved to the streaming platforms.   Comcast is Warner.  Not recommending services like Roku just plays into their plan to bring us all back to high priced cable TV.  

As I've said before, it's a battle for control. Warner (ATT) and Comcast (NBC/Universal) are not happy that they don't control streaming and are working hard to fix that. They've already demonized Roku and Firestick to many people.

Yep. This thread and forums are somehow full of folks sticking up for ATT and Comcast! I've never seen that before. These companies want to control all streaming between your eye balls and their own productions. They are absolutely gargantuan companies with incredible investments in their content acquisitions. Of course they are going to try to squeeze the most out of it. If Roku does not play by their rules, they are hinging their bets that they can just wait it out if Roku does not want to lose market. They already control everything from production up to the box being that they are nearly completely vertically integrated (seeing as they are also ISPs as well), and no doubt would prefer to control the box and anything it does as well

That is because in this instance, I believe that ROKU / Amazon are in the wrong. I think they are purposely preventing the app from being released on the app store to try to leverage more money from the the content providers (In this case HBO Max as well as Peacock). Should this work, I am quite sure every new app that comes out will end up in a similar position. And we as customers are left holding the bag. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Jmsherman8 wrote:

@helloisme wrote:

@bknabe wrote:

@Cat2040 wrote:

That is because in this instance, I believe that ROKU / Amazon are in the wrong. I think they are purposely preventing the app from being released on the app store to try to leverage more money from the the content providers (In this case HBO Max as well as Peacock). Should this work, I am quite sure every new app that comes out will end up in a similar position. And we as customers are left holding the bag. 

The bottom line is Roku shouldn't be worried about what other content providers are doing - they should be worried about the customers who purchase THEIR hardware and making sure they have the ability to view all apps as they are released.  And, again, Roku had no issues giving Disney+, Netflix and Hulu basically the same deal that ATT and Comcast are asking for.  Now that could be because the demand for those apps are huge (Disney+ was huge before launch).  So, I'm sure this is weighing in to how ATT and Comcast are negotiating with Roku as well.

All that being said, I get HBO Max with my Spectrum cable subscription and when HBO Now became HBO yesterday, I WAS still able to log in and view linear HBO content.  I was afraid I would not be able to do that, but the app still works.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku and HBO dispute blocking HBO Max

Jump to solution

Love my Samsung, non-roku TV Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@debsmith5065 wrote:

@Jmsherman8 wrote:

@helloisme wrote:

@bknabe wrote:

@Cat2040 wrote:

The bottom line is Roku shouldn't be worried about what other content providers are doing - they should be worried about the customers who purchase THEIR hardware and making sure they have the ability to view all apps as they are released.  And, again, Roku had no issues giving Disney+, Netflix and Hulu basically the same deal that ATT and Comcast are asking for.  Now that could be because the demand for those apps are huge (Disney+ was huge before launch).  So, I'm sure this is weighing in to how ATT and Comcast are negotiating with Roku as well.

All that being said, I get HBO Max with my Spectrum cable subscription and when HBO Now became HBO yesterday, I WAS still able to log in and view linear HBO content.  I was afraid I would not be able to do that, but the app still works.

I agree.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@helloisme wrote:

You are completely mischaracterizing many of the views expressed in these forums.

This is not about "sticking up for" AT&T and Comcast. It is about our being able to access the content that we want. That's it.

HBO Max offers content that I cannot access on the devices I purchased for the purpose of viewing that content. Peacock TV offers content that I cannot access on the devices I purchased for the purpose of viewing that content. The Superbowl was content that was nearly blocked by the manufacturer of the devices we purchased to be able to view that content. I have every reason to believe that future content will not be available through the devices we all purchased to view that content.

It is absolutely bizarre to me that people who purchased these devices, specifically for the purpose of viewing content, would stick up for the manufacturer of those devices after the device manufacturer began gatekeeping that content. I don't get it.

Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

It's gone. Now we will wait until these two megaliths come to an agreement, and we will be so grateful, we will forget about this mess.

Sit back and enjoy the ride. Fingers will be pointed so much., they will need splints! I, for one, will hedge my bets, and not hinge them!

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Paddypods wrote:

@helloisme wrote:

You are completely mischaracterizing many of the views expressed in these forums.

This is not about "sticking up for" AT&T and Comcast. It is about our being able to access the content that we want. That's it.

HBO Max offers content that I cannot access on the devices I purchased for the purpose of viewing that content. Peacock TV offers content that I cannot access on the devices I purchased for the purpose of viewing that content. The Superbowl was content that was nearly blocked by the manufacturer of the devices we purchased to be able to view that content. I have every reason to believe that future content will not be available through the devices we all purchased to view that content.

It is absolutely bizarre to me that people who purchased these devices, specifically for the purpose of viewing content, would stick up for the manufacturer of those devices after the device manufacturer began gatekeeping that content. I don't get it.

Well said.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

$30 for a Chromecast problem solved.   I still use my Roku for about 80% of my viewing but my chord stays cut and I watch what I want.

0 Kudos