Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@Iona-D wrote:

Either way expect to wait a very long time.  It took 2 MONTHS to get Peacock.  And only after a threatened exodus of already offered multiple NBC freebie apps from Roku's home screen.

Think about that part.

I agree to expect a very long time.  At least be prepared to wait until towards the end of the year which is going to feel like a very long time.

But thank you for bringing up Peacock TV.  I have been thinking a lot about that service and how it relates.  While we now get Peacock TV on Roku after 2 months, Amazon Fire TV users are still banned by NBC/Peacock TV.  These hold-out streaming services seem to be hard to deal with and yet Roku still seems to be doing a better job than an even larger company with more resources.

But the other thing I have been thinking about with Peacock TV is what it says about HBO Max's advertised launch feature having all the Harry Potter movies.

Consider the following statement from statement from AT&T CEO John Stankey given to Bloomberg:

"When pitching AT&T’s new HBO Max streaming platform, he told the audience that anyone unwilling to pay $15 a month for the service had a low IQ. At a town hall with HBO employees last year, Stankey said the network had to dramatically increase its programming output, comparing the work ahead to childbirth. Once, when a Time Warner veteran criticized an idea during a meeting, Stankey replied, “I know more about television than anybody."

Now consider the mindset of someone that is paying $180 per year for HBO Max because it could provide them access to all the Harry Potter movies.  If you check today, none of them are available on HBO Max, instead they are available for *FREE* on Peacock TV including on Roku!

Then consider the age of several of the movies on HBO Max with 100% rotten tomato scores:

Citizen Kane (1941), Seven Samurai (1956), The Philadelphia Story (1940), Singin' in the Rain (1952), Modern Times (1936), M (1931), The Maltese Falcon (1941), Tampopo (1985), Cool Hand Luke (1967), The Gold Rush (1925), Battleship Potemkin (1925), The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948), Tokyo Story (1953), Stagecoach (1939), The Wages of Fear (1953), Open City (1946), Rio Bravo (1959), Top Hat (1935) and Henry V (1989)

If Peacock TV can provide the full Harry Potter series (2001 to 2011) for FREE, how long will it be until several of those other movies are available for FREE or cheaper services that are available on Roku?

So, it is true it will be a "very long time" until people getting hit for $15 per month will be able to see the full HBO Max directly on Roku instead of using screen mirroring to accomplish it.  But possibly shorter time, we may just end up getting access to more of the same great 100% critic score movies for FREE (or cheaply) on Roku.  How much can it really cost to license a movie made before 1990?

As to Stankey, maybe he should be a little more careful about who he claims has a low IQ.  Or, at least, if he is the smartest man in the world about TV then don't undermind a HBO Max launch feature by shortly licensing it out to someone else to provide for free.

Lastly, I love getting to chat with you Iona-D but I am a little disappointed in you.  There was never really a true answer ever given by you to what would you do if you could be "king for a day."  You only side stepped the question instead.  If you had to choose only one company to control, either Roku or AT&T, which would you take control over?  And what specifically would you change about that company such that the HBO Max issue is finally resolved?

Thanks again for bringing the conversation back to Peacock TV with ALL the Harry Potter movies available for FREE!  I wouldn't have thought of bringing that up again without you.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

Using Bold is a way of eyestrain avoidance.  My eyeglasses broke so I am quite limited to short periods of time online until they're replaced.  How is this doing for you.  Short & sweet?

I been there, done that with many companies over the course of my working life.  The only thing I did not include previously  is sending product manufacturing overseas for the most part.  Roku has followed this as well with their products.

Time's up.  My eyes can't take this anymore without a break.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

AT&T CEO John Stankey was main driver behind the deal to acquire DirectTV in 2015 for 67 billion dollars, but is now it is essentially worthless. He calls the worldwide population of earth “stupid” if they don’t purchase HBO MAX for $15 a month. Maybe that can be the marketing slogan for the MAX rollout.

As the AT&T stock price continues to circle the bowl and HBO MAX continues to remain inaccessible to Amazon, ROKU and webOS users it remains a mystery how Stankey hangs on to his job. He doesn’t seem to know what he’s doing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

Thank you so much, Fluke!  I enjoy “talking” with you as well.  Though sometimes I do get loaded down with my many responsibilities with my very aged 92 year old mother.  I am actually on call with her 24/7.  So at times I am limited with my both online and offline socializing and may not get back as fast as I would like-as in ASAP-when she needs me far more.   That does not mean I did not think about my reply while offline for you.  You wanted me to propose a working, though not realistic, way for Roku to do business.  And be "Queen (Kings are strictly for the men) For A Day?"  Here it is in a nutshell:

• Roku must go counter to the “business as usual” mentality running full speed in the business world.  What I propose is very idealistic, not reality in the present or even the foreseeable future.  If most business adopt or go back to the older business models as I propose below, it probably would be sheer corporate suicide.
  • Roku should no longer manufacturer their devices overseas.  If they do, they should bring back the device factories to Canada or the US.   And to human/robotic hybrid manufacture (preference to hiring more humans always as robots don't need to eat).
  • Continue licensing their technology to their partners.  Though get out of the subscription business entirely.  Let someone else deal with the unhappy customers bound to occur when sometimes unavoidable problems arise.   Again, more humans should be hired to help fix those same problems no matter who handles the subscriptions.  Not a very few overworked employees as Roku handles it  now.
  • Decide whether or not to  continue to be a app gatekeeper.  Or something else entirely.  The 2 major complaints over the past year or so is mostly over app blockage for whatever reason.  Being truly app agnostic or neutral is an ideal way to not to alienate older or newer users/customers.  

This is a ideal, though not very workable solutions for this and other corporations to proceed.  It is not likely to be fixed or even replaced (like my old glasses were) even temporary. 

This reply did take a little longer that I would have liked as I finally had enough time to run down to the local Dollar Store to get a very quick replacement for my glasses.  For now I feel so much better because I can give better answers until I see my optomologist!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

One more thing that the streaming world must take notice before I must go offline is the Demise Of Quibi:  https://www.indiewire.com/2020/10/quibi-shuts-down-post-mortem-failed-mobile-streaming-service-12345...

A sad very overpriced venture of huge hopes with no profits coming.  As you said earlier Fluke is why pay for a subscription than if you can get your desired programming for free (or a lesser priced subscription). 

Why do these investors continue to think the average joe and jo is so dumb?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

All of our HBO apps updated to HBO Max and today I upgraded our service to a direct subscription to HBO Max. However, only the HBO app is available on my Roku Premiere+ streaming device.
After searching ways to get around this it appears that there has been an issue between Roku and HBO Max for months. When will this be fixed?

I contacted HBO and this is their response:

I see that you are contacting HBO Max concerning availability on your Roku devices. Currently, HBO Max is not supported 
on these devices, and I can see how this could be disappointing. Fortunately, HBO Max is available on several 
other devices. I provided a link to the supported devices for HBO Max below.
 At this time there is no additional information on availability for these devices. <<URL to HBO Max supported devices removed.>>

Thank you for reaching to us with your concerns. While we note them feel free to correspond to Roku as well. 

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to us. You can reply to this message or call us at 855-9-HBOMAX (855-442-6629).
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

Just get a Chromecast With Google TV.  It has everything you need.  Including HBO Max.  Waiting for anyone of those involved parties to come through is a big waste of your valuable time.

Roku will come through like accepting Peacock TV eventually.  Waiting around is pointless.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

@Iona-D wrote:

Just get a Chromecast With Google TV.  It has everything you need.  Including HBO Max.  Waiting for anyone of those involved parties to come through is a big waste of your valuable time.

Roku will come through like accepting Peacock TV eventually.  Waiting around is pointless.

This is my workaround. Chromecast was my first streaming device. When I upgraded my TV to a 4K set, it was a Roku TV and I wound up loving it, but my Chromecast is still attached. Used it to watch the new The Witches last week. It and streaming media from my laptop using VLC are the only things I use it for, so I am looking forward to when Roku and WB/AT&T/HBO work their stuff out and make it so I don't have to use a secondary streaming device.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@Iona-D wrote:

Yup. That's what I did a couple of weeks back. While folks here continue to debate whose fault it is, when it might end, or future impact on the company, I can enjoy watching HBO Max on my new Chromecast.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Borisgoodenuf wrote:

@Iona-D wrote:

Yup. That's what I did a couple of weeks back. While folks here continue to debate whose fault it is, when it might end, or future impact on the company, I can enjoy watching HBO Max on my new Chromecast.

Yep. I finally gave up as well. A new  Apple 4K TV shows up today and will be replacing my Roku Premiere. 

0 Kudos