Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@tae111 wrote:

Thanks. 
codybellahauser seemed to suggest you could watch HBO Max in the Hulu app which I also have. I know I can watch HBO and HBO go on my TCL TV. I have been doing that since I bought it a few months ago. It's just a shame if I want to watch HBO Max I have to watch it on my 25" computer screen rather than my 65" TV.  In reality that probably won't happen so I guess I will have to just wait for Roku and HBO Max to come to an agreement if they are inclined to. 

No problem. There have been a number of replies on this thread and others incorrectly stating that you could view HBO Max content on a Roku with your HULU subscription.

This launch has just been a royal mess from all parties involved. I own three (3) TCL Roku TV's. I am also a HULU subscriber that I use daily on my TCL Roku TV's. On the day of the HBO Max launch the first time I opened the HULU app on my TCL Roku TV the top message on the screen encouraged me to sign up for HBO Max and enjoy all the great new content. If I had not read articles stating that it wasn't possible until the HBO Max standalone app was available on Roku, I could have gone through the entire subscription process to find out that it wouldn't allow me access to the Max portion of content on a Roku device. Shame on Roku, shame on AT&T and shame on HULU for encouraging this on a platform that doesn't have an agreement in place.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound | Fire TV Stick 4K
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

What's even more strange to me is HBO charging not only the customers and service providers but also the companies like Amazon and Roku so that the app will work with their systems to begin with. Especially since both of these systems already have regular HBO. Since HBO Max is a pay service you would think HBO would want to get this out to as many people as possible. More subscribers more money. Instead they seem to have put in a roadblock for millions of potential subscribers. It's not DirecTv, Fios, Comcast or any of the other TV providers. These services can provide HBO Max to anyone who owns a TV like Samsung, Sony or any other brand that doesn't use Roku as their smart system. 

Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@tae111 wrote:

What's even more strange to me is HBO charging not only the customers and service providers but also the companies like Amazon and Roku so that the app will work with their systems to begin with.

I don't think it is a charge as much as how they share the monthly subscription fee. If you install the HBO Max app from the Roku Store or Amazon store there is an agreement between AT&T and Roku/Amazon on how much of that $14.99 a month each gets. Then they also decide how to share any potential advertising revenue generated on a specific platform. And it can also can get down to who owns the user streaming data from the app that can then be analyzed and monetized. I think all of that is being negotiated. And obviously each side feels that have a strong position to stand firm on until they get as much as possible.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound | Fire TV Stick 4K
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I can watch HBO Max on my Roku through hulu. I cancelled my stand alone account and signed back up through Hulu and BINGO, westworld world my Roku through Max.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Very disappointed that HBO Max is not available on Roku.   Does anyone know if Roku intends to add it ?

If so when we might expect to see it available ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

So I guess when they rolled out HBO Max they negotiated a successful  deal with Tizen, webOS, Android TV, My home screen, and all the other smart TV platforms. Roku and Amazon TV were the only hold outs. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I did the same thing and have Max on my Amazon Fire TV. The website Techhive has a great step-by-step way to get the HBO Max Android app and install it on Fire TV. It took me about 3-4 minutes. The video, IMO, is not quite as sharp as HBO Now, but at least it's there.

The link:

https://www.techhive.com/article/3546238/how-cord-cutters-can-get-hbo-max-on-fire-tv.html

Jeff
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

@zander458 wrote:

I can watch HBO Max on my Roku through hulu. I cancelled my stand alone account and signed back up through Hulu and BINGO, westworld world my Roku through Max.

Except you can't get everything you're paying for since there's no HBO Max app for Roku!

Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@zander458 wrote:

You are not watching HBO Max on your Roku through HULU. Westworld is part of the content on the HBO linear channel. Not even sure why you cancelled your standalone account. HBO NOW would give you access to the same HBO linear content on a Roku as the subscription through HULU would at the moment.

The MAX portion of HBO Max includes content such as FRIENDS, THE BIG BANG THEORY, THE FRESH PRINCE OF BEL AIR, LOVE LIFE, DOCTOR WHO, TORCHWOOD, MEN OF A CERTAIN AGE, THE CLOSER, THE ALIENIST, MAJOR CRIMES, THE OC, Turner Classic Movies, Looney Tunes, Adult Swim, Ghibli Studios. I am pretty sure if you look for any of the content listed above you will not find it on HBO on your Roku.

Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@herkimer1 wrote:

Very disappointed that HBO Max is not available on Roku.   Does anyone know if Roku intends to add it ?

If so when we might expect to see it available ?

They are still negotiating revenue sharing. If I had to guess I would say yes, it will eventually be on Roku. It is in both of their interests in the long run to come to an agreement. 

When is harder to say. July 31, 2020 is when AT&T plans to no longer allow you to install the HBO GO app for use. At that point there will be an HBO Max app and a re-branded HBO app that was HBO NOW before for HBO linear content. I read an article that said some HBO GO customers could still be able to authenticate their login through August 31, 2020. Perhaps that is when something really has to get resolved. But, that is just a guess.