Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Judygrl1965
Level 8

Unable to Fast forward or Rewind

Started about a week ago. I am unable to fast forward or rewind any recordings. I use to be able to skip over commercials. I also am unable to “start over” live tv. What happened?  

Labels (1)
28 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Unable to Fast forward or Rewind

What channel are you using? What model Roku?

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Judygrl1965
Level 8

It’s all recordings and all channels. The recording I’m trying to watch now was recorded from my local ABC channel. Our Roku Television was purchased last Summer, It’s a TCL. 

atc98092
Level 21

@Judygrl1965 wrote:

It’s all recordings and all channels. The recording I’m trying to watch now was recorded from my local ABC channel. Our Roku Television was purchased last Summer, It’s a TCL. 

OK, by channel I mean what are you using to watch them on the Roku? Are you using Roku Media Player? Where is the media being watched from, and attached hard drive or a DLNA server on your network? What was doing the recording? The TV itself isn't a recording device, although you can use an attached USB storage device to pause live broadcasts on a Roku TV. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Judygrl1965
Level 8

We’re using Hulu. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@Judygrl1965 wrote:

We’re using Hulu. 

OK, thanks. In that case, Hulu is who provides support for that. Roku did not create the channel for them and does not (actually, simply can't) provide support for that channel. 

Dan
0 Kudos
stuart1
Level 7

I'm having the same issue and I called HULU and they said it is an issue with ROKU not allowing for fast forwarding through commercials.

If this is the case I will be switching to the firestick.  Too bad I alread own 5 roku divices but if Roku is controlling my commercial activity I will be leaving.

I am paying an extra fee to HULU for this and ROKU should not be controlling this.

atc98092
Level 21

@stuart1 wrote:

I'm having the same issue and I called HULU and they said it is an issue with ROKU not allowing for fast forwarding through commercials.

If this is the case I will be switching to the firestick.  Too bad I already own 5 roku devices but if Roku is controlling my commercial activity I will be leaving.

I am paying an extra fee to HULU for this and ROKU should not be controlling this.

Sorry, I don't believe them. The player has no idea if an ad or the content is playing. Only Hulu would know the difference. There's no way Roku could enforce that via software. I believe Hulu has sole control over that. 

Dan
Ronald602
Level 8

Same problem here. Started within the month. I'm going to call Roku tomorrow November 30, 2020. Frustrating to turn on a game and can't start over from the beginning. Why is Roku denying there is a problem? I think I will try the Amazon fire stick. So frustrating!!! I think I just might go back to regular cable TV as Hulu live now cost the same as cable. I will post after tomorrow what Roku tells me.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@Ronald602 wrote:

Same problem here. Started within the month. I'm going to call Roku tomorrow November 30, 2020. Frustrating to turn on a game and can't start over from the beginning. Why is Roku denying there is a problem? I think I will try the Amazon fire stick. So frustrating!!! I think I just might go back to regular cable TV as Hulu live now cost the same as cable. I will post after tomorrow what Roku tells me.

What channel are you using that does this? I have no issue with YouTube, Prime Video, Netflix and any other channel I use on a Roku. Yes, on YouTube I can't FF through a commercial. But Google has complete control of that, not Roku. Only the channel developers can control the way their channel works. I know for a fact that the Roku developer documentation allows for FF and rewind, as it has now made it a requirement to show thumbnail images when doing so. So Roku has NOT restricted channels from using FF or rewind. That is the sole function of the channel developer. 

It won't do you any good to call Roku. First, they don't control what the channel does. Second, they don't offer customer support over the phone. 

Dan
0 Kudos