Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SusanSCH
Level 8

The Prime Video Layout on my new TCL with Roku

Jump to solution

I have had a roku streaming stick for a few years and it works fine.  So, when shopping for a friend for a smart tv we chose a TCL tv because it uses ROKU. .. Unfortunately the layout of Prime Video on my TCL is not the same as with my streaming stick.  Netflix and other apps work fine, but the Prime Video  app stinks. Everything is squeezed together and the menu is tiny, making it unusable for my friend. After contacting TCL and Amazon, and spending hours troubleshooting, I finally found out that the Prime Video app on the TCL was designed for Fire devices, and is definitely not the one on my streaming stick. Can anyone recommend another brand of ROKU based tv with the traditional ROKU interface for Prime Video? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
SusanSCH
Level 8

Re: The Prime Video Layout on my new TCL with Roku

Jump to solution

Amazon tech support has told me that the Prime Video layout on all of the newer devices was changed. I had figured I would get a set from a different manufacturer, but I would be getting the same awful interface.  I was told by Amazon that they are going to get this issue to the development team.  Meanwhile we will use the old Roku stick with the new mostly smart tv.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Tivoburkee
Level 16

Jump to solution

The Amazon Prime app is pretty much the same across all devices. I own 43"TCL Roku tv and Prime is fine on mine.

I would remove the app, go into the menu of the tv and restart it,  then try to add it back.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
SusanSCH
Level 8

Jump to solution

I've tried to paste pictures of the two different interfaces, but can't.  Here is a link that shows what I mean:

https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/devices/fire-tv/494652-menus-watch-list-settings-do-not-show-in-p...

The first picture shows what the Prime Video menu screen looks like on my Roku streaming stick, and the second, what it looks like on the new TCL tv.  The first one is much easier to see, the second is very bad if your vision isnt what it once was.  I was told by Amazon that this was a choice made by the tv manufacturers.

And, we have removed the Prime Video app from the tv and then added it back.  Still the same bad interface.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tivoburkee
Level 16

Jump to solution

So like the first one? Without any menu options at the top of screen, just some advertisement taking up half the screen? Then return the Roku tv get a Toshiba, Insignia tv with Fire tv built in. The second has menu options easily to get to, each item is clearly marked, and you don't have read what it is superimposed on image of the show.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tivoburkee
Level 16

Jump to solution

And if the first photo is what's on your streaming stick, its not a roku, but an amazon Fire stick. Unplug it and read what's written on it, get your brands straight.

Edmund
Highlighted
SusanSCH
Level 8

Jump to solution

No, it really is a roku streaming stick,  model 3500R.   I have just found out that Prime Video has recently changed its interface, so that it now uses the messier interface.  And the second is on the new TCL tv. My streaming stick is 4 years old and, in my view, the interface it uses for Prime Video is better.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
SusanSCH
Level 8

Jump to solution

Amazon tech support has told me that the Prime Video layout on all of the newer devices was changed. I had figured I would get a set from a different manufacturer, but I would be getting the same awful interface.  I was told by Amazon that they are going to get this issue to the development team.  Meanwhile we will use the old Roku stick with the new mostly smart tv.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tivoburkee
Level 16

Jump to solution

I loved the amazon app of old, it had access to IMDB data where you can look up trivia, and have access to cast members other movies and shows. Especially like the how you could search your library of movies and tv shows, you could start at the newest and go left right to the oldest, nowadays you can only go right, in one direction. That amazon app hasn't been around for at least 4 years.

The amazon app on roku devices is so much better then amazon's app on their own devices, because on roku they keep your movies and tv shows separate, where on Fire sticks then are on one line, both movies and your tv shows mixed together, terrible.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
SusanSCH
Level 8

Jump to solution

The Prime Video app on my 5 year old Roku streaming stick is far better than the app is now.  I think Amazon messed up a good thing.