Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
robnrick
Level 7

Re: Slingplayer no long supported

Jump to solution

I bought and paid for Roku for only one reason and now it is gone. I deserve to at least know why!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
kr7949
Level 8

Re: NO MORE SLINGPLAYER

Jump to solution
Sling blames a Sept 23 Roku rollout. last updare I Received from ROKU was Sep 6 and I just checked again and still no update. Yet it was SLING that rolled out a Sep 23 update and 2 things got broken at once: Slingplayer availability on ROKU and the remote control on Sling Player platforms.
Sling is lying to its customers about who is to blame. The word of the day is LIBEL.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
granthe
Level 8

Re: Slingplayer channel no longer supported

Jump to solution
Sorry but I’m a little slow. I just got a fire stick. So where do I go to get the app/channel to watch my Slingbox.
Thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
drmjf
Level 7

Jump to solution

You get it from Amazon. Just search Amazon for Slingplayer app for Fire TV or click on the link that shows up on your TV screen when you are setting up your Fire stick.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
rj0
Level 10

Jump to solution

@granthe wrote:
Sorry but I’m a little slow. I just got a fire stick. So where do I go to get the app/channel to watch my Slingbox.
Thanks

I'm only part of the way there myself, but here's what I have done so far (I'm still in the process myself, so anyone with an easier way chime in). I registered my new Fire TV device with Amazon so it shows in My Devices. I went to the Amazon app store and 'purchased' (free) the SlingPlayer app. I added the app to my Fire TV device (just as you would add an app to a Fire HD device, same pull-down). After a Successful result, I turned on my Sling TV device (input to TV) and found the SlingPlayer app, but rather hidden. In my case, I didn't find the SlingPlayer app until went to Settings, Applications, Installed Applications, and then scrolled to the SlingPlayer app. Then it seems to show up with the more regular content. Selecting it told me what I pretty much already knew, and that's that my SlingBox is too old (but since I pay $200+/month for cable TV, access to which I'm losing from Roku, and travel a lot, I've got on-purchase a used SlingBox 350 through Ebay, the 350 is the oldest SlingBox supported through the Fire TV from what I can tell). When the 350 arrives next week, I'll set it up and follow up. If you already have a 350/500 or M1/M2, you should be a step ahead of me. (and yes, Roku is costing me a lot of money for their decision to cut the SlingPlayer channel, but, hey, it's what they do) 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
rj0
Level 10

Jump to solution

@rj0 wrote:

@granthe wrote:
Thanks

...  After a Successful result, I turned on my 'Sling TV device' (input to TV) and found the SlingPlayer app, ...

sorry, --> 'Fire TV device' (and yes, this means I'll dropping  my Roku device altogether, hope Roku is  happy).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@rj0 wrote:

...  After a Successful result, I turned on my 'Sling TV device' (input to TV) and found the SlingPlayer app, ...sorry, --> 'Fire TV device' (and yes, this means I'll dropping  my Roku device altogether, hope Roku is  happy).

Roku has no control over the Sling channel. Sling is responsible for making it work on the Roku OS. Since the developers know in advance of any changes to the firmware that might affect their channels, it's up to them to have an update ready for any OS updates. I'm sure Roku doesn't like losing you to Fire TV, but it's out of their control. Sling can say all they want that Roku caused it, but it's their effort that has be less than satisfactory. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
rj0
Level 10

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@rj0 wrote:

...  After a Successful result, I turned on my 'Sling TV device' (input to TV) and found the SlingPlayer app, ...sorry, --> 'Fire TV device' (and yes, this means I'll dropping  my Roku device altogether, hope Roku is  happy).

Roku has no control over the Sling channel. Sling is responsible for making it work on the Roku OS. Since the developers know in advance of any changes to the firmware that might affect their channels, it's up to them to have an update ready for any OS updates. I'm sure Roku doesn't like losing you to Fire TV, but it's out of their control. Sling can say all they want that Roku caused it, but it's their effort that has be less than satisfactory. 

Roku dropped their existing support for the SlingPlayer in their new OS update (and with no warning to existing customers).

That was Roku's choice.  We've been over this already.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
rj0
Level 10

Jump to solution

@rj0 wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

@rj0 wrote:

Roku dropped their existing support for the SlingPlayer in their new OS update (and with no warning to existing customers).

That was Roku's choice.  We've been over this already.

No matter how you spin it, bottom line:

*** Roku made the first move on ending support for SlingPlayer. ***

... and we, the Roku users, are paying for it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
blasterdaddy
Level 9

Jump to solution

I am sure there is much more to this story, THAN ROKU DELETED THE CHANNEL and BLAMED SLING.  Like I said in a previous post, Sling did have something to do with this.  The SlingTV app which never really worked well with their AirTV unit, was updated, and now works really well with the AirTV.  Being the AirTV is roughly based on the old Slingboxes, I suspect that

1. Roku did have an update that caused the Slingbox Channel to stop working, as well as more importantly the AIRTV Channel.

2. Slings way around this was to modify the SlingTV app which is not compatible with any Slingbox, only thier AIRTV box to be more rubust.  Note that Sling made no effort to update the AIRTV Channel.

So what we have is a company going thru a normal software upgrade to their Product (Roku), and another company (Sling) not caring about old technology that supports their products (AirTV) and doing the least they can support their current product the AIRTV Box.

Robert

0 Kudos