Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dougsteron
Level 8

Roku v9.4 broke HDHomeRun Playback Recordings

Hello. I am wondering if the next version of the Roku software will fix a MPEG2 video issue with playing stored media files?

I use the HDHomeRun app on several of my Roku devices. Since the Roku 9.4 update the HDHomeRun app has an issue with choppy video when playing recorded video. Streaming channels works fine. The issue only happens when playing stored content. Silicondust Support says the issue needs to be corrected with the Roku software. 

Will the fix be incorporated into the next version of the Roku software? If so is there an estimated date for the next Roku software release? 

Thanks. Doug M 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
20 REPLIES 20\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku v9.4 broke HDHomeRun Playback Recordings

@dougsteron 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-if possible would you be able to provide us with a copy of the content that you are experiencing this issue with so we can get a better understanding of what you are experiencing?

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
FaronK
Level 7

I have the exact same issue on all of my Roku devices (express, Roku TV on TCL, Roku stick).  Live TV looks and play fine but Recorded TV is very choppy.   I was troubleshooting with Silicondust support and they said that they've been receiving increased reports since v9.4.  release.  Interestingly, the recorded TV looks fine on my PC and my Chromebook but on any Roku device its very choppy.  I've only recently got the HDHomerun DVR so wouldn't know what it was like before Roku 9.4.

Thank you and really hoping this can be fixed as my recorded TV is not watchable. 

dougsteron
Level 8

Thanks Danny for your reply.

Model = 9101X - Roku Smart Sound
Serial number = YL00HD315227
Device ID = R6499H315227
Software Version = 9.4.0 build 4190-95

The issue happens on 3 other Roku devices I have all running the same software version. Before all of my Roku devices were updated the issue did not occur. 
The issue occurs when playing stored video from the HDHomeRun App on a Roku device. The video files are on my HDHomeRun Servio model HHDD-2TB. It happens when playing back any stored video file.

If I play the same file on another app (example: HDHomeRun for Windows) then the video looks fine with NO issues.  

Thanks, 

Doug M 

NTC
Level 10

Same here. I playback recordings from a Synology NAS to a 2020 Ultra 4800R, and it skips audio and/or pixelates video at random intervals between 4-12 seconds apart. No set pattern. It plays live video stream from my HDHomeRun  just fine, on the same wifi connection within my network, so network congestion or interference can be ruled out.

I'm on v9.4.1 build 4208 on the Roku and the latest HDHomeRun channel. Streaming other stored videos from my NAS through the Roku plays without hiccups (mostly). Like the others, playing these recorded videos on other devices, using the HDHomeRun app for Android and IOS, plays OK.

0 Kudos
dougsteron
Level 8

@RokuDanny-R 

This issue looks to be happening for all user using the HDHomeRun App on Roku. Can you please route it to the appropriate Roku Team? The issue is with the Roku video player and playing MPEG2 files ( not streaming files ).

Thanks. 

Doug M  

0 Kudos
FaronK
Level 7

Thanks for moving this forward. Here are the specifications for one of my Roku devices having issue with recorded tv playback:

-Roku TV - 7120X

-TCL Model - 55R613-CA

-Serial number - YSOOYU462575

-Software version - 9.4.0-build 4190-30

-Device ID - FV293Y462575

-TrackerID - 75-474-803

Thank you.

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@FaronK @dougsteron 

Thanks for the posts.

I have passed along the information to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Tags (1)
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@NTC 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us with the information that I have requested in my above post?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
dougsteron
Level 8

Hello @RokuDanny-R . I was wondering if you were able to provide us with an update? Are you able to replicate the issue? Is a fix in the works? Thanks.

Doug M