Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Roku Media Player not really shuffling

I have a Roku 3 with a USB drive attached.  The Roke Media Player scanned and found thousands of photos but when I start the slideshow (on shuffle) from the root directory, it seems to play the same photos in the same order and repeat them.  Is the RMP capable of recursively shuffling across subfolders? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Roku Media Player not really shuffling

I've never used the USB input, but in theory it should shuffle the media. However, I could believe a restriction to only shuffle within a specific folder. I can't say it's for sure, but possible. The Roku employee that developed RMP retired from Roku, so there's a different person now in charge of it. Haven't seen much going on with it recently. It's been August since that person has commented in the RMP beta forum.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Ok, I found this that specifically mentions subfolders:

https://support.roku.com/article/208754908-how-do-i-use-roku-media-player-to-play-my-videos-music-an...

Under the header, "How to play music, photos, or video using Roku Media Player"

To play all the videos/music/photos in a folder (and subfolders) or playlist, press the Play button play pause button on Roku remote when the folder or playlist is highlighted.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Also, it looks like it's not playing in the exact same order, but it does start with a certain group of photos every time when a random shuffle across thousands of photos shouldn't.  

0 Kudos