Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marknyc
Level 7

Roku Media Player no longer sees my media server

I set up Windows 10 media server, installed Roku Media Player, and it worked great!

Then, my power strip failed and I had to reboot everything. It's all set up the same way, but now Roku just says "Waiting for Media", and does not see my server.

What could have changed?  I did everything the same way, and now I get nothing. What can I check to see why Roku no longer sees my media server?  I know it's turned on and there are files in my library.

Please help!

Mark

0 Kudos
6 Replies
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Media Player no longer sees my media server

Windows Media Services is miserable in general. Offers little transcoding, no metadata, and has issues like this. More than likely, your Windows firewall has lost its setting allowing Media Sharing to be available. If your computer suddenly thinks you're now on a public network connection (I've seen that happen before, especially if there was a power issue), the firewall is blocking access.

One of many reasons I use a different DLNA server than what Windows offers. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
marknyc
Level 7

Found a workaround - installed Plex server - works great!

0 Kudos
TaraReske
Level 7

Plex only works for a media server if you pay the monthly fee. No chance in that happening

0 Kudos
atc98092

@TaraReske wrote:

Plex only works for a media server if you pay the monthly fee. No chance in that happening

No, it isn't necessary to subscribe to Plex Pass. I've never paid them a dime and have used Plex for years. It;s my backup media server, only used when I travel. For home use I have Serviio instead, because I have far more control over its functionality and since it supports PLS and M3U playlists. 

Dan

0 Kudos
bahara
Level 7

I started expericinng the same issue not being able to connect RMP to my DLNA server.

The issue was resolved by enabeling "Automatically allow devices to play my media". I belive it started happening after a recent windows update.

The steps used to resolve the issue;

Launch Windows Media Player.

On the Menu bar, you will see the Stream drop-down menu. Click on it.

From the options under Stream, choose “Automatically allow devices to play my media”.

Restart your Windows Media Player and check whether Media Streaming now works

atc98092

@bahara wrote:

I started expericinng the same issue not being able to connect RMP to my DLNA server.

The issue was resolved by enabeling "Automatically allow devices to play my media". I belive it started happening after a recent windows update.

The steps used to resolve the issue;

Launch Windows Media Player.

On the Menu bar, you will see the Stream drop-down menu. Click on it.

From the options under Stream, choose “Automatically allow devices to play my media”.

Restart your Windows Media Player and check whether Media Streaming now works

Windows Media Services is a lousy DLNA server. It offers limited transcoding, no metadata retrieval, and there is zero control over how the media is handled. I strongly suggest investigating alternate DLNA servers. 

Dan