Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DubTaylor
Level 12

Re: Roku App wants to open movie on Netflix Android App

"Tonya G" wrote:
"DubTaylor" wrote:
"Tonya G" wrote:
I'm going to call Netflix back today. I was on the phone for 11 minutes and a lady customer service representative was looking into sone stuff and we got disconnected.

Wait... you called India for support and got disconnected?
Consider that a gift.


Actually, the lady from Netflix was American, but the lady I spoke with on the phone from Roku yesterday was from another country and I had trouble getting her to understand what I was saying. I was on the phone for 25 minutes with the lady from Roku and all we managed to do was unplug my Roku a couple of times and reinstall Netflix on my Roku a couple times. I also spent some time telling her what all I did on my phone with uninstalling the Roku App and Netflix app on my phone but she didn't seem to understand that there was a Roku app problem and only wanted to deal with the Netflix channel on the Roku. But, she was patient with me staying on the phone for 25 minutes like she did.

Yea, Roku Phone Support goes direct to India (before you call, just pull out The Magic 8 Ball - it's what they use, but their answers display in Hindi), and as you discovered - it's a waste of time.

Fortunately you found this forum. The chances of a favorable outcome for just about any problem are greatly improved.
Tonya_G
Level 10

Re: Roku App Opens Movies in the Netflix Android App (Instead of the Netflix Channel on the Roku)

Can Roku please provide a fix for this through a Roku App (android and iphone) update? It's super annoying when I search for a movie through the Roku android app on my phone and as a viewing option, Netflix is listed, and then I tap on the Netflix option, it opens the movie in the Netflix app on my phone instead of the Netflix Channel on my Roku Ultra. I just updated the Roku app on my phone and it is still doing this, Whether it is a bug or a policy issue with Netflix please provide an update for the Roku app that will fix this.
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Re: Roku App Opens Movies in the Netflix Android App (Instead of the Netflix Channel on the Roku)

As @speechles mentioned, some channels/services support a direct playback option on your Roku device from within their own mobile app, instead of launching content from inside the Roku Mobile app. Netflix and YouTube support this type of functionality. You can read more about it here: 

https://support.roku.com/article/360002990094-how-do-i-cast-apps-like-youtube-or-netflix-from-my-pho...

If you have any additional questions on this functionality on certain channels, please feel free to get in touch with that channel's support team for more information, or to share feedback. 

Thanks,
Tanner
0 Kudos
Tonya_G
Level 10

Re: Roku App Opens Movies in the Netflix Android App (Instead of the Netflix Channel on the Roku)

"RokuTannerD" wrote:
As @speechles mentioned, some channels/services support a direct playback option on your Roku device from within their own mobile app, instead of launching content from inside the Roku Mobile app. Netflix and YouTube support this type of functionality. You can read more about it here: 

https://support.roku.com/article/360002990094-how-do-i-cast-apps-like-youtube-or-netflix-from-my-pho...

If you have any additional questions on this functionality on certain channels, please feel free to get in touch with that channel's support team for more information, or to share feedback. 

Thanks,
Tanner

Why won't Netflix allow a movie, that I've searched for through the Roku Android App and shows Netflix as a viewing option (and is tapped on) to be launched through the Netflix channel on the Roku. When it launches in the Netflix App on my phone and I click the cast button in the Netflix android app, it then only launches the Netflix Channel on my Roku and NOT the movie. I then have to tap on the cast button on the Netflix app on my phone to disconnect, then retap to launch the movie through the Netflix Channel on the Roku.- The Netflix Channel on the Roku has to be opened up first before I cast a movie from the Netflix App on my phone - this is such a roundabout and inconvenient way of launching a movie that I searched for through the Roku App (that has Netflix listed as a vieiwng option) - SO inconvenient!!! While doing this with the Netflix Channel opened up on my Roku, I have to see or hear distracting movie/show trailers on my TV while I am searching for movies through the Netflix App on my phone to cast - I want to avoid this and all these steps just to launch a Netflix movie on my Roku. I would rather search for a movie I'm interested in watching through the Roku App that has Netflix as a viewing option, then tap on it and have it open directly into the Netflix channel on my Roku. This works for movies/show titles that have Hulu listed as a viewing option that are searched for in the Roku App - the movie or show is directly opened up in the Hulu Channel on the Roku - Why is this not allowed for Netflix?
0 Kudos
Tonya_G
Level 10

Re: Roku App Opens Movies in the Netflix Android App (Instead of the Netflix Channel on the Roku)

OK, Here are the steps to go through to launch a movie/show through the Netflix Channel on your Roku when you have searched for a movie/show through the Roku App on your phone that has Netflix listed as a Viewing Option. :

1) Install the Netflix app on your phone if you haven't yet and sign in.

2) Open the Netflix Channel on your Roku and leave it open, and enjoy the DISTRACTING sounds and movement of a movie/show trailer playing on your TV Screen.

3) Tap on the Netflix viewing option in the Roku App on your phone. It will say: "You are now being directed to the Netflix mobile app." Then tap, OK.

4) Now with the Netflix app opened up on your phone, you should see the movie playing. 

5) There will be a casting button in the upper right hand corner. Tap on it and you should see Roku listed as an option.

6) Tap on the Roku casting option.

7) You should now see the movie that you searched for in the Roku App on your phone playing through the Netflix Channel on your Roku.

WOW! This is so much easier than launching a movie from the Roku App (that has Netflix listed as a viewing option) DIRECTLY into the Netflix Channel on your Roku. This is an INDIRECT and ROUNDABOUT way of launching a Netflix Movie/Show to the Netflix Channel on the Roku, that you have searched for through the Roku App on your phone, but it gets the job done!!!  (It's only a few extra steps than just launching it to the Netflix Channel on the Roku directly from the Roku App!) :roll:

When you search for a movie such as Schindler's List through the Roku App on your phone and choose the Netflix viewing option, it'll open up in the Netflix App on your phone and you'll either have to cast from the Netflix App on your phone and go through the steps I posted above or perform a manual or voice search through your Roku or a manual search through the Netflix Channel on the Roku.

You should just be able to launch a Netflix movie/show that you have searched for through the Roku App (on your phone) DIRECTLY into the Netflix Channel on your Roku, but for some reason Roku/Netflix isn't allowing it right now.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 13

Re: Roku App Opens Movies in the Netflix Android App (Instead of the Netflix Channel on the Roku)

I agree with you.. I just tested this and it is a terrible way to have to get to a Netflix search result.. I suggest contacting Netflix though, because this is probably how they want it. Unfortunately you probably won't get ahold of the correct person and nothing will get done. I feel for ya.

"Tonya G" wrote:
OK, Here are the steps to go through to launch a movie/show through the Netflix Channel on your Roku when you have searched for a movie/show through the Roku App on your phone that has Netflix listed as a Viewing Option. :

1) Install the Netflix app on your phone if you haven't yet and sign in.

2) Open the Netflix Channel on your Roku and leave it open, and enjoy the DISTRACTING sounds and movement of a movie/show trailer playing on your TV Screen.

3) Tap on the Netflix viewing option in the Roku App on your phone. It will say: "You are now being directed to the Netflix mobile app." Then tap, OK.

4) Now with the Netflix app opened up on your phone, you should see the movie playing. 

5) There will be a casting button in the upper right hand corner. Tap on it and you should see Roku listed as an option.

6) Tap on the Roku casting option.

7) You should now see the movie that you searched for in the Roku App on your phone playing through the Netflix Channel on your Roku.

WOW! This is so much easier than launching a movie from the Roku App (that has Netflix listed as a viewing option) DIRECTLY into the Netflix Channel on your Roku. This is an INDIRECT and ROUNDABOUT way of launching a Netflix Movie/Show to the Netflix Channel on the Roku, that you have searched for through the Roku App on your phone, but it gets the job done!!!  (It's only a few extra steps than just launching it to the Netflix Channel on the Roku directly from the Roku App!) :roll:

When you search for a movie such as Schindler's List through the Roku App on your phone and choose the Netflix viewing option, it'll open up in the Netflix App on your phone and you'll either have to cast from the Netflix App on your phone and go through the steps I posted above or perform a manual or voice search through your Roku or a manual search through the Netflix Channel on the Roku.

You should just be able to launch a Netflix movie/show that you have searched for through the Roku App (on your phone) DIRECTLY into the Netflix Channel on your Roku, but for some reason Roku/Netflix isn't allowing it right now.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Tonya_G
Level 10

Re: Roku App Opens Movies in the Netflix Android App (Instead of the Netflix Channel on the Roku)

"jeffrok" wrote:
I agree with you.. I just tested this and it is a terrible way to have to get to a Netflix search result.. I suggest contacting Netflix though, because this is probably how they want it. Unfortunately you probably won't get ahold of the correct person and nothing will get done. I feel for ya.

"Tonya G" wrote:
OK, Here are the steps to go through to launch a movie/show through the Netflix Channel on your Roku when you have searched for a movie/show through the Roku App on your phone that has Netflix listed as a Viewing Option. :

1) Install the Netflix app on your phone if you haven't yet and sign in.

2) Open the Netflix Channel on your Roku and leave it open, and enjoy the DISTRACTING sounds and movement of a movie/show trailer playing on your TV Screen.

3) Tap on the Netflix viewing option in the Roku App on your phone. It will say: "You are now being directed to the Netflix mobile app." Then tap, OK.

4) Now with the Netflix app opened up on your phone, you should see the movie playing. 

5) There will be a casting button in the upper right hand corner. Tap on it and you should see Roku listed as an option.

6) Tap on the Roku casting option.

7) You should now see the movie that you searched for in the Roku App on your phone playing through the Netflix Channel on your Roku.

WOW! This is so much easier than launching a movie from the Roku App (that has Netflix listed as a viewing option) DIRECTLY into the Netflix Channel on your Roku. This is an INDIRECT and ROUNDABOUT way of launching a Netflix Movie/Show to the Netflix Channel on the Roku, that you have searched for through the Roku App on your phone, but it gets the job done!!!  (It's only a few extra steps than just launching it to the Netflix Channel on the Roku directly from the Roku App!) :roll:

When you search for a movie such as Schindler's List through the Roku App on your phone and choose the Netflix viewing option, it'll open up in the Netflix App on your phone and you'll either have to cast from the Netflix App on your phone and go through the steps I posted above or perform a manual or voice search through your Roku or a manual search through the Netflix Channel on the Roku.

You should just be able to launch a Netflix movie/show that you have searched for through the Roku App (on your phone) DIRECTLY into the Netflix Channel on your Roku, but for some reason Roku/Netflix isn't allowing it right now.


Thank you!!!
0 Kudos