Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dkfinger
Level 7

Opening PBS Kids channel causes Roku Express to crash

For the past couple of weeks, when we open the PBS Kids app on our Roku Express, the pink PBS Kids logo splash screen appears with our local Public TV station on it, then it goes to a colorful background with a "loading" wheel in the middle, but the loading wheel never moves, and after about a full minute of staying on that screen, the Roku reboots itself back to the Roku logo animation.  I have removed the channel, performed a system restart, then reinstalled it, I have checked for software updates and there are none, and I have pulled the power cord, but the same behavior persists.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Opening PBS Kids channel causes Roku Express to crash

Thanks for letting us know what you're seeing. Have you contacted PBS support yet to report the issue and request assistance with their streaming channel on your device? 

You can reach PBS support here: https://pbskids.org/help/faq.html

Keep us posted if you have any other questions! 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Antonio206
Level 7

I have the exact same issue. Also with my Roku Express +

However my TCL Roku TV has no issue with the PBS Kids Roku channel.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your report. A few more questions here: 

- Which model of Roku Express do you own? (You can view this in Settings>System>About on your device.) Feel free to edit your post, and associate your specific Roku device model to your post. 

- Is your device connected to your TV via an HDMI cable, or via composite cables (white/red/yellow)? 

- Have you performed a factory reset to see if the same issue occurs? 

- How many channels are currently installed on your device? Have you tried removing a number of unused channels to free up system resources and see if this helps resolve the issue? 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Antonio206
Level 7

Model: 3910RW - Roku Express+

The device is connect to the TV via the composite cables.

My Roku is brand new out of the box and has this problem with the pbs kids channel. I let the Roku go through all updates.

I have 8 channels on my device. The same issue persists even when I remove channels.

However, per your suggestion I just factory reset the device, and, its FIXED!

A factory reset fixed the problem and the PBS Kids channel works perfectly now.

THANK YOU!

0 Kudos
Antonio206
Level 7

The issue came back and has been a problem sine my last post. The fix only worked for a short time. Later that day it was back to freezing upon opening pbs kids.

I have done a factory reset a few times. Each time, pbs kids will work, then, later on, the same problem is back.

I have given up trying to fix it with factory resets.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for letting us know @Antonio206 

If you haven't already, I would suggest contacting PBS to inform them of the behavior you're seeing, and request additional support. You can reach them here: https://help.pbs.org/support/home

You can also send me a private message with your Roku's serial number from Settings>System>About and I'll follow up to help provide your feedback to the channel provider. They will need to investigate the issue for further resolution. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos