Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oddjobs2do
Level 9

Re: New Spectrum Streaming App Crashes Roku

Jump to solution

I'm simply responding to your waste of time solution. A 2-year-old would know better than your stupid solution.

0 Kudos
damien0527
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you, I couldn’t agree more.

0 Kudos
Tinamariefiore
Level 7

Jump to solution

sometimes the usb is not power enough and you do have to plug in the roku to the wall for power, I’ve had this issues with some Rukus as well, but yea no help for the messed up charter app

0 Kudos
oddjobs2do
Level 9

Jump to solution

As you'll notice all of these forums go awry. No one ever offers a solution they just offer a resolution that doesn't make any sense. It's hilarious. The real resolution is that somebody within spectrum needs to look at the app and fix its development. Nothing else will fix the problem. But spectrum doesn't care and that's the actual solution.

0 Kudos
Tinamariefiore
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes spectrum is trash. I had to contact the FCC in order to get service from them to help resolve my issue but still will never use their service unless I have to as I do for high speed internet. Happy with Roku for a couple months now.

0 Kudos
bighanded
Level 8

Jump to solution

back on topic...jeesh

I think I've found my solution..short version "HDCP"

here's why I say this.

for several years my setup has been roku>Soundbar>HDMI> projector.  and this worked well for virtually all apps, then spectrum started the crashing thing and I chases router settings, bandwidth performance, all manner of things.  

I blamed Spectrum as I was able to view Starz via the Starz app against my Spectrum subscription with no issues.

Then last month, Disney+ began to crash and it forced me to chase this thing further.

I noted that Roku direct into an older TV worked perfectly on all streaming apps..including Spectrum...so as I eliminated the chain it really came down to the projector.

here's where I think it gets into HDCP sensing changes made in some of the streaming apps/roku itself.

my projector has the ability to pass-thru or daisy chain to a downstream HDMI device, so HDCP would not be able to track that and would assume that I am able to land a recording device etc at the other end of the projector.

again, just a guess...but I have added a Firestick and am running it across the exact same chain that the roku used to run on..and the firestick works perfectly (disclaimer - Spectrum doesn't have a Firestick app - nother topic)..but Disney and everything else that was giving me problems work perfectly to the projector.. I am considering getting a pricier HDMI splitter that might can filter out the HDCP but reality is, I now just use the old TV for my elderly mom's viewing of Halmark and HGTV via Spectrum which is material I don't want to run the projector bulbs for anyway..so when we want to run our Prime, Starz, Disney etc movies at night, then I fire up the projector via Firestick and all is well.

you guys that are smarter than me, please weigh in on my hypothesis.. I can see where this could be an issue with some TVs that have the chain capability.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Couple of things to mention:
- We always recommend powering a Roku device through a wall outlet rather than the TV USB port as sometimes the TV does not provide adequate power to the device. If this helped resolve your issue, great!

-Whenever you are ever experiencing an issue with a channel, the first step in troubleshooting a channel is always to try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more. 

-If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to the channel provider directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on this channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

To avoid further tangents on this thread, we will be closing this thread out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos