Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdmm55
Level 8

Internet Browsers Firefox and POPRISM Web Browser

Firefox and POPRISM Web Browser are only two Free web browsers in current Raku 2019.   Both are easily intalled in New Raku  with new software but do not show a web brower to enter web address to get websitws???

[post moved to appropriate board]

0 Kudos
8 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Internet Browsers Firefox and POPRISM Web Browser

I'm not interested in using a Roku for web browsing, so I'm not going to bother trying these. However, the Firefox channel is not a browser. It is designed to receive a video "cast" from an Android device to the Roku and play it there. It is not designed for web browsing on the Roku, and apparently only works with a Firefox browser on an Android device. 

POPRISM is different from what I can see, and actually is a web browser for a Roku player. But they do label it as experimental, and the user rating in the channel store isn't very good. So perhaps it still needs some work. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
tampammm
Level 8

I would really like to see a reliable/useful web browser page developed for Roku.

The one on Fire devices works great and you can easily enter URL addressees where host sites have hundreds of streaming content videos to watch.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

@tampammm wrote:
I would really like to see a reliable/useful web browser page developed for Roku.

The one on Fire devices works great and you can easily enter URL addressees where host sites have hundreds of streaming content videos to watch.

Myself, I can't see the attraction. Unless you have a remote with a keyboard, entering a URL with an on-screen keyboard is just too annoying. Yes, there certainly are a large number of web sites that offer streaming content. But for me the effort isn't worth it. Now if you could enter the URL with a voice command, that might change things. Smiley Happy

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
tampammm
Level 8

I think you have to experience it directly to know what I'm talking about. The Fire pop up keyboard and entry is really very little trouble to the user. So in the case where I used it last week, it took me a grand total of 20-30 seconds to type something in using the standard remote. And then I got the result of a hot link to a website with 600 movies on it!! I then bookmarked the webpage with one single click! Never have to type anything again - and with the remote I can now just scroll anywhere on it and click any one of these hundreds of movies to instantly enjoy ad free on my player! This is a critical feature to me as a Cord Cutter.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Yes, different devices will work in different ways. My Samsung TV has a browser, and after one use I decided it wasn't worth the effort. But yes, once you get to a site and bookmark it, it becomes much easier to use.

And of course the functionality of the browser itself can make a difference. Not all browsers have the necessary functionality to play online videos. The one in my TV has some limitations. Of course, if it's something like Firefox, then it should be fine. But this POPRISM we have no idea what sort of support it has. 

As I said, entering the URL by voice would be nice. Smiley Happy

Dan
0 Kudos
tampammm
Level 8

Valid points. But I think with the advent of websites now hosting hundreds or thousands of TV shows and movies to watch, Roku needs to add a workable solution that competes with Fire devices. As right now, I have to use both a Roku and a Fire to watch all my content.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

@tampammm wrote:
...As right now, I have to use both a Roku and a Fire to watch all my content.

That's actually a criticism leveled at almost every streaming player. There is no single streaming player that covers "everything". The closest yet is the new Shield that was released last week. They added Dolby Vision support, which for me isn't an issue since I don't have a DV display. Since it's an Android device under the skin, there's likely web browsers available for it. Also, it streams lossless audio, plays every video I have on my server without transcoding, supports all captions, and has all the Internet streaming apps I need. But still, for some users it's lacking in a few areas, mostly I believe in the way it handles high bitrate audio files, and it's having some issues with proper HDR color spacing and framerate matching. My 2017 version is working fine for me now, but I need another one to replace my Roku Ultra. As much as I love the Roku players, they don't give me the lossless audio and captions support I'd like.

Dan
0 Kudos
tampammm
Level 8

I agree again that you can make criticisms about shortcomings on every player out there. And you certainly seem like an expert on the technical aspects of the various players.

But I think for casual streamers (like most Roku viewers are instead of more sophisticated models like the Shield and Apple for example), missing out on quick access to abundant content is really a huge gap. Hence my criticism on this key missing feature on the Roku.