Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

I have 12 tv's throughout the property, I'm tired of Directv, what's the best solution?

Jump to solution

Having signed up in 1994, we were among Directv's first customers.  26 years later we tire of the storm outages and poor tech support, never mind Comcast/Xfinity finally ran cable to our neighborhood ($1,200 per house!) so we now have higher speed internet access.  It's just my wife and I but we have about 12 tv's throughout the property... 1 per bedroom (4), livingroom, family room, garage, kitchen, 3 by the pool side bar etc. Ideally both Directv and Comcast want to hang a box on each tv but obviously we only have one or two on at the same time and it makes no sense to pay a monthly fee for each tv when you only ever have a max of 2 tv's on at any one time.  What's the best way to manage this?  We currently have 3 dtv set-boxes with splitters sharing signals to the different tv's.  The DTV RC73 remotes make this possible w/ their ... is it a UHF signal?  Anyway, if I put a roku device on each tv does this one-time expense solve the problem? With 5g just around the corner, is there a better solution about to hit the market?  Part and parcel to all of this, if we're only interested in News, Network and sports channels, what should we subscribe to?  Seems like everyone advertises everything but, after spending hours scrolling through the choices, it's mostly movies/shows but pre-recorded news or sports... not the live news/sports we want to watch now.  Thanking in advance for any direction!  

0 Kudos
6 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: I have 12 tv's throughout the property, I'm tired of Directv, what's the best solution?

Jump to solution

It would really depend on the content you desire to watch. It can get expensive if you start signing up for lots of different providers. For myself, Prime Video and CBS All Access are the only two we pay for, and Prime is simply an additional offering for Amazon Prime, which we use extensively. 

If the content you desire is available at an acceptable price, using a streaming player on each TV is a reasonable option. I do the same, with either Smart TVs or external players, although I don't have a full dozen. Smiley Happy 

I couple things to remember with Roku devices. If every Roku device is linked to the same Roku user account, every device will have the exact same channels/apps on them. Remove the channel from one device removes it from all. Each device still has its own control of home tile arrangement, and in every case I'm aware of they each sign into a channel that requires authentication separately. So for someone with two separate Netflix accounts they can be signed in independently from the other devices. 

One more caution: when you link your new Roku device to your account, make sure you enter the complete web address as shown on screen, and do not accept a suggested site from your web browsers. Scammers have manipulated the search engines to make a scam site appear before the genuine Roku web site. They intentionally offer a failed link and attempt to extort payment to get you configured. There are no fees for a Roku user account, nor for adding new players to that account.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 17

Re: I have 12 tv's throughout the property, I'm tired of Directv, what's the best solution?

Jump to solution

I would say ditch Direct TV entirely.

Find an Internet Only provider in your area.

And use Roku exclusively.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.

Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

The roku xfinity (beta) app will do essentially the same as their X1 cable box with a slightly longer start up time and no numbers on the remote for direct channel selection.  I'd recommend getting one or a few X1 boxes to have a dvr and the better remotes at the most-used locations and use rokus for the rest.  You would be able to set and watch recordings on any of them.   The xfinity hardware is not tied to your contract length so you can add or return the X1 boxes if you change your mind about where you want them.  Currently there is no charge for using rokus for additional TVs, although that might change in the future.

Not sure if Directv works like that to access your full channel set and recordings or if you can only use Directv now over the internet.

Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Bob16 wrote:

Greetings! I've been responding to these suggestions from my gmail and... ooops, I see they're not appearing here so... if you weren't in receipt of a "thank you" from my gmail account, "thank you" again, your points are duly noted, appreciated and being followed up on. Comcast/xfinity is our ethernet provider.

For the comcast/xfinity approach using the roku xfinity app as a substitute for renting some number of X1 boxes you would have to get an xfinity TV channel package too (double play).  And you need fairly good wifi or wired ethernet in locations where you probably already have coax.

Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Bob16 wrote:

Question: My 3 Directv boxes are divided between about 4 tv's each, connected via splitters.  Does the xfinity/roku/recorder scenario work there?  For instance, one DTV set top box in the family room records and delivers recordings (sports) to the 3 poolside Tv's... as well as programming. How's that work w/ xfinity? Use the same coax cable/splitter scenario?  Add in Roku sticks where necessary?  Thanks again for the advice, very much appreciated!

For Xfinity you might need to replace the coax splitters and for a large number of runs your installer might use a powered unity gain amplifier.  The system communicates over MoCA and may need a different frequency range than your current splitters.  The X1 boxes can be DVRs or just players and act as a 'whole home' system where any box can set/view recordings.  There is also a 'cloud' copy of your recordings that act as a backup if you ever swap DVRs and can be watched anywhere from the streaming web site or the xfinity stream app on iphone or android.    The rental price per X1 box varies by region - in some areas it is $5/month per box, plus a $10/mo 'DVR' fee if any of them is a physical DVR and that includes extra cloud storage space.   They have wireless X1 boxes but I think only 2 per home are recommended - and you have to use the xfinity gateway instead of your own router for them.   The roku xfinity app can substitute for an X1 box if you have a good wifi signal or ethernet wiring (only a few models have ethernet). 

The X1 boxes also run most of the popular internet streaming apps, so you probably won't need both boxes at one location.

Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Bob16 wrote:

Great info, thank you!  Printing this one out and attaching my other notes to it.  I don't think these kinds of insights are available from either Roku or xfinity! 

You can find the info about xfinity/X1 but you have to poke around a bit: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box (you want the xg1v4 dvr for 4k...).

Some of the info you'll get will be more about cord-cutting to save a few dollars a month, but someone with 12 TVs in the house can probably afford a cable subscription if you want one - especially if you leave one on most of the time and would be bumping internet bandwidth caps with streaming.   Also, if you are considering replacing any of the TVs the smaller TCL or Hisense models with roku built-in don't cost much more than a standalone box and with good wifi they don't need any physical hookup.

13 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

It would really depend on the content you desire to watch. It can get expensive if you start signing up for lots of different providers. For myself, Prime Video and CBS All Access are the only two we pay for, and Prime is simply an additional offering for Amazon Prime, which we use extensively. 

If the content you desire is available at an acceptable price, using a streaming player on each TV is a reasonable option. I do the same, with either Smart TVs or external players, although I don't have a full dozen. Smiley Happy 

I couple things to remember with Roku devices. If every Roku device is linked to the same Roku user account, every device will have the exact same channels/apps on them. Remove the channel from one device removes it from all. Each device still has its own control of home tile arrangement, and in every case I'm aware of they each sign into a channel that requires authentication separately. So for someone with two separate Netflix accounts they can be signed in independently from the other devices. 

One more caution: when you link your new Roku device to your account, make sure you enter the complete web address as shown on screen, and do not accept a suggested site from your web browsers. Scammers have manipulated the search engines to make a scam site appear before the genuine Roku web site. They intentionally offer a failed link and attempt to extort payment to get you configured. There are no fees for a Roku user account, nor for adding new players to that account.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

I would say ditch Direct TV entirely.

Find an Internet Only provider in your area.

And use Roku exclusively.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.

Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

The roku xfinity (beta) app will do essentially the same as their X1 cable box with a slightly longer start up time and no numbers on the remote for direct channel selection.  I'd recommend getting one or a few X1 boxes to have a dvr and the better remotes at the most-used locations and use rokus for the rest.  You would be able to set and watch recordings on any of them.   The xfinity hardware is not tied to your contract length so you can add or return the X1 boxes if you change your mind about where you want them.  Currently there is no charge for using rokus for additional TVs, although that might change in the future.

Not sure if Directv works like that to access your full channel set and recordings or if you can only use Directv now over the internet.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Greetings! I've been responding to these suggestions from my gmail and... ooops, I see they're not appearing here so... if you weren't in receipt of a "thank you" from my gmail account, "thank you" again, your points are duly noted, appreciated and being followed up on. Comcast/xfinity is our ethernet provider.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks Dan!  Lots to "unpack" as they say in today's jargon Smiley Wink Hopefully you received a timely  email from my gmail account a few days ago... didn't realize my replies weren't posting here. The smart tv's come with quite a few apps and, ferreting through them, then those via Roku... overwhelming if/when all you're [momentarily] searching for is a network (abc, cbs, nbc) channel or espn... just to get started.  Seems to be an assumption that 99% of the market is searching for movies or ???  We have 3 main tv's we use (if/when/at all), the others are periphery... guest bedroom, garage etc., just background stuff.  For instance, we've used Amazon Prime because A. Directv isn't working right B. we have an account and it's easy to use. That said, I've yet to figure out if Prime delivers either the daily news or sports channels... it's lost in their vast menu of choices... or perhaps I've been too busy to dig deep enough.  Should it be this difficult? Thanks for the tips! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you... I'm taking notes!  Smiley Wink  With Comcast/xfinity the only cable provider it looks like they're the alternative to Directv.  Unless there's something that 5g is about to deliver in 2021 that makes a lot of what we're talking about obsolete.  Noting our 26 year run w/ Directv, yes, I'm loathe to change once I'm entrenched in a new technology. But you're correct, it's just my wife and I and 3 tv's are about what typically see regular use... e.g. the garage tv only when I'm working on toys; the 3 outdoor tv's only when the pool's open etc. so your points about recording points hit home.  Possibly only need one of those. Question: My 3 Directv boxes are divided between about 4 tv's each, connected via splitters.  Does the xfinity/roku/recorder scenario work there?  For instance, one DTV set top box in the family room records and delivers recordings (sports) to the 3 poolside Tv's... as well as programming. How's that work w/ xfinity? Use the same coax cable/splitter scenario?  Add in Roku sticks where necessary?  Thanks again for the advice, very much appreciated!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Bob16 wrote:

For the comcast/xfinity approach using the roku xfinity app as a substitute for renting some number of X1 boxes you would have to get an xfinity TV channel package too (double play).  And you need fairly good wifi or wired ethernet in locations where you probably already have coax.

Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Bob16 wrote:

Thanks Dan!  Lots to "unpack" as they say in today's jargon Smiley Wink Hopefully you received a timely  email from my gmail account a few days ago... didn't realize my replies weren't posting here. The smart tv's come with quite a few apps and, ferreting through them, then those via Roku... overwhelming if/when all you're [momentarily] searching for is a network (abc, cbs, nbc) channel or espn... just to get started.  Seems to be an assumption that 99% of the market is searching for movies or ???  We have 3 main tv's we use (if/when/at all), the others are periphery... guest bedroom, garage etc., just background stuff.  For instance, we've used Amazon Prime because A. Directv isn't working right B. we have an account and it's easy to use. That said, I've yet to figure out if Prime delivers either the daily news or sports channels... it's lost in their vast menu of choices... or perhaps I've been too busy to dig deep enough.  Should it be this difficult? Thanks for the tips! 

Yeah, responding to the email alert doesn't get posted here, and are not sent to others via email, so no we haven't seen your replies. Smiley Happy

Yes, Prime Video can be a bit difficult to navigate. Amazon doesn't make things easy there sometimes. I honestly can't say what they offer in news or sports, as I pay little heed to either. But there certainly are providers that offer both via a Roku player. 

If you don't receive a decent over the air signal for your local TV stations, you might look at Locast (locast.org) and see if they cover your area. It's free, but they do request a small donation if you use them. For me they include every TV station in the greater Seattle area, including all sub-channels. That would cover your news outlets, and potentially some sports. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Bob16 wrote:

Question: My 3 Directv boxes are divided between about 4 tv's each, connected via splitters.  Does the xfinity/roku/recorder scenario work there?  For instance, one DTV set top box in the family room records and delivers recordings (sports) to the 3 poolside Tv's... as well as programming. How's that work w/ xfinity? Use the same coax cable/splitter scenario?  Add in Roku sticks where necessary?  Thanks again for the advice, very much appreciated!

For Xfinity you might need to replace the coax splitters and for a large number of runs your installer might use a powered unity gain amplifier.  The system communicates over MoCA and may need a different frequency range than your current splitters.  The X1 boxes can be DVRs or just players and act as a 'whole home' system where any box can set/view recordings.  There is also a 'cloud' copy of your recordings that act as a backup if you ever swap DVRs and can be watched anywhere from the streaming web site or the xfinity stream app on iphone or android.    The rental price per X1 box varies by region - in some areas it is $5/month per box, plus a $10/mo 'DVR' fee if any of them is a physical DVR and that includes extra cloud storage space.   They have wireless X1 boxes but I think only 2 per home are recommended - and you have to use the xfinity gateway instead of your own router for them.   The roku xfinity app can substitute for an X1 box if you have a good wifi signal or ethernet wiring (only a few models have ethernet). 

The X1 boxes also run most of the popular internet streaming apps, so you probably won't need both boxes at one location.